Scope for 338 Rem Ultra Mag

wasgas

I just got my 338RUM and have started looking at scopes, I plan to use this gun between 300-1,200 yards and probably want upwards of about a 20 power. What should I look at that will be a good value and hold up to the recoil?

MATE. stop looking around cause you wont find a better scope than a ZEİSS Victory Davari 6-24*56 or 6-24*72 with RAPİD Z BEST SCOPE THERE İS.
Just visit the Zeiss website. by the way they are expencive. but worth the price!!!!

My vote goes to Leupold, Bushnell Elite Tactical line, Nikon Monarch, Votex Viper, or the Sightron SIII. Right now we are using a Bushnell Elite 4200 on a Lapua that is doing just fine. It is a 6-24x50 scope with open Tac. Knobs very well marked. I am considering the Sightron or a Vortex my next go

Tank

My vote is either the NF 5.5-22 NSX or one of the new March scopes in a 2.5 -25x or 5-32x. But, for the money, you can't beat A leupold....6.5-20 x 50 LRT. My LR hunting rig has an 8-32 NSX, and I feel that 8x on the bottom end is to high. I am actualy looking at 3.5-15 NSX right now. Not Ideal, but I will get it CHEAP if I decide to pull the trigger on the deal.... pun intended!! :D

Just my .02!!

Good Luck

Here is what I have looked at and considered so far.

Zeiss Conquest 5-20X50 with target knobs $1100

Leupold Mark 4 6-20-50LR $1250

Huskemaw $1100 I did not like it and think that the optics are sub parr

Vortex Viper 5-20X50 I liked it but don't know much about it, will it hold up? $525

Nikon Monarchs, I like the older ones that I have better than the new styles

The Leupold is probably close to the top of my budget.

For hunting NF 5.5-22 NXS, for paper NF 8-32 BR or 12-42 BR. the benchrest aren't too much more than the Leupold price mentioned.

Scopes are give and take to fit individual styles and budgets. What is best for one may not be best for another. I have over 150 rifles and naturally I can't afford to put high end scopes on that many rifles. So my give and take ended up with the Nikon Monarchs. They have the best glass and quality for the price that I have found. I have probably 30 of them now from 2.5-10 to 4-16 all mil dot reticles. I do not go out looking to make 1000 yard shots but can if needed. All of my rifles are for killing stuff and not shooting targets. Most of my shots are 600-800 yards. My last four big elk were 648-905 yards. My rifles are light hunting rifles for backpacking or hiking all day and I do not use scopes over 19 ounces. Field of view is critical in hunting situations and the Nikon Monarch has the best in the industry for a good quality scope. Most of my hunting is in grizzly country so I mostly use the 2.5-10 with 42' field of view. When I know I am going long range hunting with no grizzly threat I use a 4-16 on special long range rigs that can get me out to well over 1000 yards. I have taken several animals beyond 1000 yards with 3-10 class scopes. The huge powers are not necessary unless you are punching targets. The elk this year at 740 yards was trivial with the 2.5x10 Monarch mil dot on my 338 ultramag.

Now having said all that you must be a very accomplished shooter to shoot the 3-10 class scope at long range because there is no paralax adjustment on most of them including the Monarch. Paralax is a very critcal element for most people shooting long range because there technique just isn't developed enough to shoot accurately without it. But the 4-16 mil dot with paralax adjustment is more than enough for any big game situation. The problem though is many shots are close in timber/moving and you will miss many of those because you can't find the animal in the narrow field of view. Again give and take. There is a reason the 3-10 class scopes are by far the most popular with most hunters. They have the FOV for close shots and the power to kill game at most any range except extreme long range well beyond 1000 yards where most hunters will never go. Leupold makes a very nice lightweight 3-10 with paralax adjustment but the fov is terrible. My 4-16 monarch is as wide a FOV. That is why I use the Nikon.

As you can see all of this is give and take and taylored exactly to my hunting style and what I can make a kill with when it counts from point blank to infinity. I kill stuff and am very good at it. Another guy would be different according to what he valued as more important. The problem with scopes is you will get more info than you can digest in a lifetime of hunting.

I intend to use this gun for long range hunting, but don't plan to carry it through the woods as a primary rifle. I am confident in taking 1,000 yard shots with a nice target scope and range card, but would not be able to do so with a 3-10 hunting scope.

I believe I need a 5-20 power scope for my needs. I also have 3 Nikon Monarchs and am extremely happy with them and they are an exceptional value, but if I were going to upgrade then now is the time.

Anybody have an opinion on the
5-20X50 Trijicon
6-20X50 Vortex Viper

Last edited:
I intend to use this gun for long range hunting, but don't plan to carry it through the woods as a primary rifle. I am confident in taking 1,000 yard shots with a nice target scope and range card, but would not be able to do so with a 3-10 hunting scope.

I believe I need a 5-20 power scope for my needs. I also have 3 Nikon Monarchs and am extremely happy with them and they are an exceptional value, but if I were going to upgrade then now is the time.

Anybody have an opinion on the
5-20X50 Trijicon
6-20X50 Vortex Viper

I don't know anything about the Trijicon's, but I do know that guys are buying the Vortex's and liking them. They are sturdy scopes giving good feed back to those who use them. For what your doing a target dot would not be out of the question.

I had up graded to a 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster and it works great when trying to see a ground hog at 1000yrds. My 4-14x40 Mil-dot Buckmaster buried them and I could not get a good hold on them. I use this scope on my 300WSM. Works good so far. Customer service is also very good.

Tank

I agree with your decision considering it is specialized for long range and not a primary carry gun. I would go with the best 20+ power scope I could afford. I am not familiar with the trijicon or vortex. I have Burris Black Diamond and Leupold variables in the 20 power range and both do a very good job on big magnum rifles. The Leupold 6-20x50 long range scope with target turrets and B&C reticle on my 264 STW is fun to shoot at big game at the ranges your talking about. It is a very nice scope for the price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.