Scope for 22-250 varmint rifle?

Jim Oliver

Hey guys,
I just got a Rem. VSSF in 22-250, probably will be used mostly for paper and PD shooting. My budget tops out at $400.

I have several variable scopes in the 6x-20x range but am thinking about a fixed 25x or maybe 36x for the 22-250.

First, is the fixed high power practical for this use and if so, would the Weaver T36 be a good scope? If not, what??
Would the 40mm objective be OK?

Thanks,
Jim

I would advise against the fixed high power scope. On hot days the mirage will render your gun useless but with a variable you can turn it down.
Their is a Nikon 6.5-20 Monarch for sale in the clasifides that would be a great choice , I was planning to buy it but found out that it only has 1/8" clicks and that would work for me on the rig I was planning to use it on out to 1000yds

JDJones,

I appreciate your reply to my question about the high power fixed scope for my .22-250--saved me from a mistake. Thanks lots.

Also, since I don't seem to be able to PM you, I will use this post to apologize about the Nikon deal. I honestly thought you were not interested in it. Please forgive me.

Jim Oliver

you should take a look at mueller scopes the 8.5x25x50 eradicator is a great scope i have three of them. i love the little red dot in the cross hairs. they track great as well. i shoot my 223 out to 600 all the time and it all ways returns back to zero

I've got a Alaskan Guide Premium 6.5-20x40mm from Cabelas. It fits into the price range and I'm having good luck with it on my 204.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.