Scope for 1000+

ohiohunter

I'm looking for a scope to go beyond 1000yds w/ 300wm yet I want to keep weight to 22oz max and 24x max, though I am not sure I need that high of magnification. I'm torn between a few scopes and I'm not sure which may be the best option as they all have pros and cons.

1. Viper hs-lr xlr reticle FFP w/zero stop CRS: The 6-24x is so close in size and price to the 4-16x I think its a no brainer to go w/ the 6-24x. I am however hesitant b/c of how thin the reticle is and low light possibilities. Otherwise I think I'd already ordered this scope. Anyone with first hand experience? No one in town has this scope for me to handle.

2. Viper hs-t 6-24x or 4-16x w/ VMR-1 moa reticle sfp, zero stop.

3. Sightron sii big sky 6.5-20x SFP Moa reticle. I like this scope b/c of the weight and covered turrets. It is however a 1" tube and no zero stop.. yet it is a bit cheaper than the other scopes.

4. Zeiss conquest w/ rapid z800 either 4.5-14x or 6.5-20x.

I like the numbered reticle on the zeiss and the vortex for faster target acquistion. Vortex warranty is impecable. What do you think? Are there any other scopes that should be on my radar?

Your criteria make it a little bit tough. Going beyond 1000 yards means you need a tough scope, which means it likely won't be light weight. I doubt a 1" scope will have enough internal adjustment to make it work. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 on my 300wm and it works well. It isn't light but the glass is very good. I haven't used the Vortex HS series but some other Vortex scope I have used had poor eye relief on higher power. I think the PST in the Vortex line is the way to go, but it isn't light either. I am willing to carry more weight for something I know will work.

Your sightron weighs in at 24oz, slightly heavier than I want. I actually have that exact scope, but I do not care for the exposed turrets. All the scopes listed weigh 22oz or less. I've shot 1k with a 1" sightron big sky with my 280 no problem. I'd like to hear from anyone who has actual experience with this being an issue. It also is not my only option.

My 4-16x50 Pst weighs in at 22 oz. The reticle is very thin but it is illuminated so low light conditions isnt an issue for me. The reticle is numbered at 10 moa and 20 moa. Turrets turn awesome with good tracking. It always comes back to zero when im done dialing my shots. I dont think you would need anymore than 16X, I can shoot at 1 in spots at 400 and see them fine. Ive never shot at 1000 yards so I really dont know what magnification would be sufficient. The only problem I have with this scope is it get a little fuzzy on 16X but its not terrible.

So what are your intended targets for 1K and beyond? Also, what is your budget....and is this a "Multi-purpose" rifle? Reason I ask.......there's really good options out there....but from what you've posted...it sounds like you're trying to have a hunting rifle that you want to also shoot targets at extreme ranges. That complicates things....especially when you start throwing in "Light weight."

I have used Sightron SIII's for 1K BR shooting ...one was a 10-50X and the other is 8-32X. The 8-32X I can also use to shoot varmints at long range and it was used by my son to take his first deer. For small targets at long range....I need more magnification than 14 or 16X YMMV.

The Vortex PST would also be a nice choice....I've got a 6-24X FFP that I just got and it would fit what criteria you listed.

Another option.....and it weighs more.....but would have excellent glass and hold up to the punishment of your 300WM for decades is the Gen1 Vortex Razor 5-20X. I don't think you'd find a better deal on a top tier scope than this right now:

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Rifle Scope EBR-1 MOA 35mm RZR550 on sale

The extra weight is worth it in terms of reliability, ruggedness and lens quality. I think it would deserve consideration.

Good Luck,

Wayne

A Leo mark 4 6-20x50 is 22oz.This is a nice scope and easy to find good one used.Want to speend some bucks 3-24x52 March 23oz ,double the$

Wildcatter, how do you like that VX-6, im looking around for scopes and have been a leupold fan all my life, was originally looking at poss. A Nightforce NXT 5-22x50, but the VX-6 in the same specs as yours has caught my eye, I know Nightforce is the sh!t, but is it worth another $500 over the Leupold?

Wildcatter, how do you like that VX-6, im looking around for scopes and have been a leupold fan all my life, was originally looking at poss. A Nightforce NXT 5-22x50, but the VX-6 in the same specs as yours has caught my eye, I know Nightforce is the sh!t, but is it worth another $500 over the Leupold?

Right now the VX-6 4-24X52 is my favorite scope. It is in good company. When I compared them, the VX-6, the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, and the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 there are sorta two finishes. During the bright day looking at my deer antlers in the woods 131 yards away the z5 needs 2X more than the VX-6 and 1X more than the 6500 to see the same detail. But when low light sets in the VX-6 beats the z5 by a minute and they destroy the 6500 by several minutes. In fact my Bushnell 4200 matches the z5 and also kicks butt on the 6500 in low light.

I really like to compare optics against eye charts and antlers in the woods. I hope this info is clear and fun.

Ohiohunter: Hey, as I was reading your post I had a similar thought as Senderofan. I'm attaching a link to a scope that I will eventually own but I think may work well for you.

I have no first hand experience with these scopes but I think they look promising.
Tactical 8-80 x 56

I am curious about the reason for your two requirements, I'm not criticizing you by any means. It's your equipment, whatever you're happy with works. All of my "long range" rifles have 10-40 power scopes, I don't know what they weight but to me a few oz. here or there doesn't matter to much, as long as they hold their zero and are accurate I'm happy.

When it comes to weight, I am with the others, heavier (to a point) is more durable, and worth considering. As for the magnification, I think the flexibility provided by a wide range is a plus, especially at very long ranges. That way you have the best chance for hitting the target.

I also want to throw this out there, as I have increased the magnification power of my scopes my precision and accuracy have also increased, but not because I can see more detail or see the target better. The increase in accuracy is actually because it has forced me to be more stable and consistent in my form. At 100 yds, at 40x, my heartbeat use to cause a 2" jump in my sights. Now, it's only a about 0.5" jump. I've changed/improved my hold, my breathing, and I'm better at controlling and settling my heartbeat, and everything else about how I shoot. The results have been a great increase in my accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.