Scope focus Q

Mikecr

Hello
For me, for some reason, I nearly always have to take the lockring off the eyepiece so that I can turn it in far enough to get a perfect RETICLE focus. Is this common? Does it hurt anything to do this?

I don't know why it's this way for me. My eyes are fine, with exception of normal astigmatism. I recieved a new NF-NXS yesterday, and find this same condition as other scopes I have.
Any thoughts on this? Experiences?
Thanks

[ 10-23-2004: Message edited by: Mikecr ]

Don't know why but my problem is exactly the opposite.

I need to turn the ocular lens wayyyyy out to get a good focus on the crosshairs. This all started AFTER my LASIK surgery. Other than that the results from the surgery have been great.

I now prefer the quick focus rings that are on my Kahles and Nightforce scopes.

Considering LASIK touch up

I have been considering touching up the LASIK surgery that I had in both eyes 7.5 years ago. Mainly astigmatism related.

I had to go back to corrective lenses about two years ago after those nice 5 years.

A friend of mine recently had his Lasik and from what I could understand, he had to chose between perfect long distance and using reading glasses or the other way around, or having one eye optimized for long distance and the other for reading. I am not 100% sure I understood correctly, but I want to ask you guys if using a rifle scope is more like reading distance or long distance. It may sound easy to answer, but believe me, laying down under that machine and knowing what they are doing on your corneas is creepy enough. And of course the doctor may have the best solution currently available to most of us.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sam

Hello
For me, for some reason, I nearly always have to take the lockring off the eyepiece so that I can turn it in far enough to get a perfect RETICLE focus. Is this common? Does it hurt anything to do this?

I don't know why it's this way for me. My eyes are fine, with exception of normal astigmatism. I recieved a new NF-NXS yesterday, and find this same condition as other scopes I have.
Any thoughts on this? Experiences?
Thanks

[ 10-23-2004: Message edited by: Mikecr ]

Yes, to adjust the focus ring to ones eyes is VERY common. No different than different lens in eye glasses for diffirent people.

No, it does not hurt anything and that is why scopes have focus rings...

What I was inquiring about(over 3yrs ago) was if it was normal to need such extreme adjustment that I have to take the eyepiece off and remove the lockring, so that the eyepiece could be reinstalled and screwed in far enough for me to get a perfect focus.

I run into it with NF scopes as well, but there is no lock ring and so 'all the way' in is the best I can achieve. Just not quite perfect.
I don't feel like my eyes are so different than everyone elses

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.