Scope failed tall target test....🤬

Here is a photo of one of my targets. View attachment 199651
Tall target.jpg

Something that I have found with a couple of rifle scopes is that the cross hairs can be canted when the physical body of the scope is leveled to the gun but still track up and down with no issue.
That they track up and down is a good thing, but for me, picking up a rifle with a canted reticle, just will not work for me. That would absolutely drive me crazy, not to mention the natural action of actually trying to hold the rifle level while looking through the scope would probably cause me to introduce a cant.

So I have a Leupold VX6 on my CA 6.5 PRC. Rifle shoots really well, I've got a load worked up that is consistent and I'm feeling good about this fall until the tall target test. When I dial up, I get a 1.5-2" shift to the right. I ran the test 4 times. Made sure the target was plumb with a level, used levels to mount the scope, and even tried rotating the scope counter clockwise (since the shift was to the right). Nothing has worked. No matter what I try, when I dial up, I get a POI shift to the right. I know there are a lot of things that can cause this. I'm using Talley one piece rings for the mount. I've remounted the scope twice. I've got a NF I'm going to put on it to see if it is the scope or the mounts, or the receiver. Anyone have any other suggestions? Would a bore sighting tool show the discrepancy?? I got the scope from Holland's with his reticle in it. I'm going to call them on Monday to see what they have to say. Is it possible I just have a bad scope?? Thanks.
Glenn
And this is why I sold all of my Leupolds and replaced them with March Optics. Its a **** shame that we have nice lightweight hunting scopes made in the USA with good glass and they just don't perform well.

I've saw a canted reticle that tracked if the scope was leveled off of the turret. I don't think it would hold true in every situation like that. My assumption was that the reticle etching itself was canted not necessarily the erector or anything to do with the mechanical movements.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem with VX6 HD's

Suggest this:
1) Mount Scope / rings snugged
2) Attach scope level to tube snugged
3) Set plum bob at 100 yards
4) Twist scope until vertical stadia plum in line with plum bob string snug rings tighter
5) Adjust scope level til bubble centers
6) Double Check reticle & scope level
7) Torque everything to specs
8) Try tall target, if fails send back to Leupold as bad scope (They have great customer service)
9) Good Luck
You should also make sure the gun is held in a level position and not canted for this to be effective while adjusting the scope alignment. Proper scope alignment starts with a leveled rifle base.

B4043EFC-BC67-4CB1-9198-821322F989A3.jpeg

So this is what I did. Put up a new target using a plumb line. The target is straight. Put the Leupold on a RPR, put a NF on the CA PRC. Zeroed and shot the test. Got very similar results. The Leupold that was the issue is on the left. The NF on the right. My grouping isn't great, but I got almost identical results from both scopes. Both showed a 5/8" deviation to the right with 30 MOA dial up. Both showed 1/4 deviation to the right at 20 MOA dial up. I wish I would have shot 10 MOA, but didn't think to do that. This is less than I had yesterday and I'm thinking I can rotate the scope to correct this smaller amount of error. So I go back home, Swap the scopes back, and re-zero. This is what I got.
DFA924ED-CA3F-45FC-9732-66C55427EE67.jpeg
My first shot was right on the line. I'm smiling. The second two are to the right again, no more smiling. If I measured correctly, I'm 1 3/8" to the right. I should have shot 20 MOA, but I decided to try rotating the scope clockwise (from the buttstock POV) to try and fix it. I had just gotten re-zeroed when storm came in, so I don't know if rotating the scope helped or not. I'm less inclined to think it is the scope now since the NF shot almost exactly the same. I'm going to lap the rings, remount, re-zero, and retest ASAP. The error seemed more progressive today, so I'm hoping a simple rotation will solve the problem. At this point, who knows?? Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I'm trying to take it all in.

I had a similar problem with a vx3 and also to the right when dialing up. I played with rings, levels and my mind a but trying to figure it out. Put a trusted and proven scope from another gun on and sure enough it was the scope. Sent it for warranty and they said uneven torque applied to the rings with a Snap On Calibrated Torque wrench caused the issue. They said the tube was also damaged from 18inlbs or torque. When I apply the torque I always cross pattern in increments until all are 18 inlbs. So long story short I guess i was to blame for that and they sent the scope back repaired. Dialed it up and it was better but still not right.

Doc, as others have suggested have you used a flashlight and checked through the objective and bore to see if the y axis and bore are true to one another. Some believe it is irrelevant because if you gun impacts left or right then you'll adjust the x axis to line up. While this is correct it is not the same as a canted y axis. As you are seeing you are moving the elevation from say 7 to 1 in stead of 6 to 12. You could also add downward elevation and it should be a comparable about left as it is right.

How close was that VX6 to the lowest it could get on elevation for those targets in the first post of this thread?

View attachment 199779
So this is what I did. Put up a new target using a plumb line. The target is straight. Put the Leupold on a RPR, put a NF on the CA PRC. Zeroed and shot the test. Got very similar results. The Leupold that was the issue is on the left. The NF on the right. My grouping isn't great, but I got almost identical results from both scopes. Both showed a 5/8" deviation to the right with 30 MOA dial up. Both showed 1/4 deviation to the right at 20 MOA dial up. I wish I would have shot 10 MOA, but didn't think to do that. This is less than I had yesterday and I'm thinking I can rotate the scope to correct this smaller amount of error. So I go back home, Swap the scopes back, and re-zero. This is what I got.
View attachment 199784My first shot was right on the line. I'm smiling. The second two are to the right again, no more smiling. If I measured correctly, I'm 1 3/8" to the right. I should have shot 20 MOA, but I decided to try rotating the scope clockwise (from the buttstock POV) to try and fix it. I had just gotten re-zeroed when storm came in, so I don't know if rotating the scope helped or not. I'm less inclined to think it is the scope now since the NF shot almost exactly the same. I'm going to lap the rings, remount, re-zero, and retest ASAP. The error seemed more progressive today, so I'm hoping a simple rotation will solve the problem. At this point, who knows?? Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I'm trying to take it all in.
I agree - it isn't the scope. All you Leupold haters can settle down🤣

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts