scope differences

How about the elevation adjustments. On Leupold's web page the elevation and windage adjustments are higher for the VX-III then the Mark 4. Sorry, I'm a newbie.

I probably should have clarified myself the first time. I should have stated the turrets and the adjustments. I do not know this for sure, but the Mark 4 probably has slightly larger internal glass than the VX-III allowing for more adjustment in the VX-III.

The Erecter housing is lager and more robust the, the turrets are exposed and can handle more abuse, some of the MK4 get the Diamond Coating on the outside lenses to prevent scratching, and I have been told they use higher quality glass with higher quality of coatings but again this is what I was told.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here's some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

I was kinda curios myself...so I just called and talked to a technician.
He said the differences were:

VX-III = Single Spring on the Erector Assembly
Standard Target Knobs
Index Match Lens System (he said better in low light then MK4)
ElectraForm Reticle (like wire but stronger, somehow made
by running electricity over it-those are my
words not his exactly.)
More MOA in adjustments.

MK4 = Dual Spring on the Erector Assembly (more robust)
Tactical knobs, M1-M2-M3, Except for the 4.5-14X40
Multicoat 4 Lenses (or something like that, trying to read
my own writing?!) Thy are supposed to be
more scratch resistant.
Etched Glass Reticle, More robust then wire.

When I asked if the MK4 was just a beefed up VX-III, the answer was "Yes." He asked what rifle I would put one on and I told him a large cased .338. He said that the VX-III would be fine and unless I was gonna abuse it he didn't see the need in forking out the few hundred extra for the MK4.

Last edited:
Index Match Lens System (he said better in low light then MK4)

You made my day. Thank you.

People just don't have a clue what that means until they need it. When it is pack it up and go home time or reach for the V3, I'll be the one chambering a round.

I've called Leupold and talked to 3 different techs about the recomended torque on their scope rings and got 3 different answers. Don't know if I trust their answers much are not..

When it is pack it up and go home time or reach for the V3, I'll be the one chambering a round.
And when you've packed up, gone home, turned on the TV, cracked open a beer, sat down on the couch...the guy with the S&B or IOR will still be.... :D :D :D

Sorry man, had to. Couldn't resist.... ;)

Scott,
You are correct, to a point. Their website does say the MK4's have the Index Matched Lens System, but it is in the variable models. The fixed models have the MultiCoat 4 Lens System, along with the MK2's.
By the way, I received my replacement scope in from Valdada yesterday. They said they didn't have any 6-24's so they sent me a SFP 3-18.

As far as the dual spring erector system being on the MK4, they advertise it for the VX-L and VX7 but not the MK4. I wonder why? If this is the toughest most durable system they have why don't they put it in their toughest most durable scopes? And if they do why not advertise it? Maybe I'll call them back and ask.
So it would seem that the variable MK4's are just VX-III's with tactical knobs and etched glass reticles (if they even have that-not advertised).

Jon,
I don't know about the S&B but us guys with the broken IOR's will be calling the shots for the guys with the Leupold that is still running!

Leupold has diluted their charactor with about a hundred too many hodge-podged models... None identified by revision, or even year... So when you buy a 'new' Leupold scope, you have no idea what your really getting. Neither does the seller..

In the past few years I've concluded that even Leupold cannot keep up with it..

That said, the MK4s are my choice among ANY scope available, at any price.

Just hope they will not dilute the MK4 line like the others.
I already seen they now have a MK4 'PR', which is about as offensive as a 'Mustang-II'.

Sad to say my friend but compaired to the 10x (and maybe 16x-never handled one) the other MK4's are diluted. It is one of the toughest scopes made hands down.
Any objections to this???

Cricket-Cricket-Cricket...

I didn't think so. LOL

They are a rugged tactical scope, that's why they issue them to us. And I mean all MK4's.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.