Scope Covers for my scope

mrb1982

I am gonna buy some Butler Creek scope covers for my Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50. Is there anybody who has covers for this scope that can tell me the sizes they use? I have figured a couple sizes from the dimensions listed on the measurements on the website but just looking to see if everybody elses sizes meet my guesstimates. Thanks

I am gonna buy some Butler Creek scope covers for my Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50. Is there anybody who has covers for this scope that can tell me the sizes they use? I have figured a couple sizes from the dimensions listed on the measurements on the website but just looking to see if everybody elses sizes meet my guesstimates. Thanks

Butler Creek Scope Cover Size Chart

In other words, you are cheap.......:D

I can't blame you, I like the BC's better myself.

lol That is correct. This long range stuff is an expensive endeavor and if I can save some money on something that doesn't need to be expensive, I won't. Seems like the Leupolds are like 90-100 if I remember right, and the BC's are roughly 20.

...and the BC's are thermoformed in China BTW. Not that it matters. Cheap is cheap. I relate to that, The Aluminia Covers are around 50 an edition.

Probably made in China too. Leupold is secretive about 'where it's made'.....:D

No Worries Zep. I really really really think the Leupold covers look cool, but I'm kinda a cheap guy on some stuff. Might be one of those upgrade things down the road from now.

I bought a set of the Leupold Aluminas a few years ago. Used them on a snowy hunt and couldn't keep them closed. I guess the magnets weren't strong enough. Anyway, I changed them back to the BCs after that hunt. I have used these caps (BCs) on many rifles for over 30 years and have never had any issues with them. I liked the Lupys, but not for a foul weather scope cover. Especially for around $90. YMMV.

Bad deal when the lid won't stay down......

This is a case of 2 manufacturers selling similar products, one cheap one expensive. Both work but one works better and the cheaper just happens to be better. That in itself is unusual.

I like the Leupold caps too, They appeal to my asthetic taste, however, cheap plastic is fine too, especially if the cheap plastic works.......

Pretty much sums it up......

I guess I look at it this way, I can replace my cheap covers 4-5 times for the cost of one set of the Leupold's. Plus, I have a buddy with the BC's and they seem alright.

I found my caliper the other night and just got an exact measurement of the sizes I need, not what the manufacturer specs it at. I just want to make sure I buy the right cover sizes.

Someone told me once that if you are on the fence with 2 sizes, to buy the smaller one so they fit better. Makes sense to me. Anybody have any input on this.

Not too much smaller. They are plastic so they stretch a bit. Take a caliper and measure the OD of the ocular and objective and order accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts