Scope Comparison Recommendation

JustMe2

Many times I've noticed posters make very broad statements like: my X brand scope is better than my Y brand scope, however, the scopes are at different price points so can't be fairly compared. Unless, of course, you're trying to convince the reader to upgrade from a lower-level scope to a higher-level. For example, "My Nightforce is better than my Leupold." Which Nightforce and which Leupold? Here is an article I recently read from an Amazon author where he put various scopes in 4 categories and then compared each within the same category and did not compare one category scope to one outside that category. I think this is much more useful comparison than broad statements.

• Entry Level (up to $500)
  • Mid-Range ($501-$1000)
  • Upper Mid-Range ($1001-$1500)
  • Top End ($1501 and upward)

Last edited:
We all use different parameters to compare any type of components and equipment. There isn't any right or wrong but there is the satisfaction of being able to rank and rate gear for your own uses and understanding.

Scopes and recoil are just two of the topics which are subjective because most of us see slightly differently and feel slightly differently. This alone makes it nearly impossible to treat a comparison as factually derived and broadly acceptable. Gunwriters and now 'bloggers' get paid to be convincing with regard to getting the selling done for manufacturers outside of direct advertising which most of us don't put much faith in anyway. Then the problem becomes one of having to purchase these products in order to test them for yourself. This can get pretty pricey especially if the product doesn't live up to your expectations from the advertising you've read.

There are literally thousands of riflescopes out there from $39.99 to over $5,000.00 now. The lowest end is a simple avoid, the extreme upper end can be avoided also due to personal budget. Categories of comparison should use a variety of testing procedures which apply to a broader segment of the buying public. Then as this information trickles down more specific testing and smaller categories come into play.

Our own opinions simply force us to investigate data and information more thoroughly in order to create a better understanding of what we're wanting to buy.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Even this is subjective, but I think it would be good to have some sort of common language when assessing the value of a scope. Granted that people are on different levels and their understanding of what is available is also on different levels. For me I would more roughly consider the following, but my list would be different five years ago based on my knowledge then.
  • Mid-Range ($500-$1200)
  • Upper Mid-Range ($1200-$1800)
  • High End ($1800-$3000)
  • Top End ($3000 and upward)
Typically when I am shopping for scopes, I have a quality standard which I don't want to drop below for that particular application, but my primary concern is magnification and reticle for said application. If I am looking for say a 3-18x50 FFP scope with a useable reticle, I may have to look at different price/quality tiers to compare comparable options. I think ultimately there will always be apples to apples and apples to oranges comparisons because some scopes punch above their weight class and others aren't worth the asking price. Doesn't matter who makes them or where, and a feature that I find essential may mean nothing to another buyer. A premium offering might not check all the boxes that a more moderate one does, and a small sacrifice of glass quality may open up doors to a host of other available features.

I love having too many scopes to choose from, even if it does drive me nuts sometimes.

Last edited:
Both scopes will more than likely track fine, but Nightforce makes their scopes absolutely bullet proof. If you want to be sure that your scope is going to track and hold zero no matter the conditions then get the Nightforce and don't look back!
You completely missed the point of the post. The point is how to compare scopes fairly, not which scope you like.

The groupings of scopes is how I consider it as well. I like this proposed adjustment as well.
  • Mid-Range ($500-$1200)
  • High End ($1800-$3000)
Most of my use is at a somewhat shorter distance compared to most here. I care most about low light performance and weight. I don't need to spin knobs or take a rifle shot through the tube....so I have a different preference than others.

I'm also not afraid to buy used or older models, so I've had very good luck jumping up a category or two.

This probably the most opinionated topic next to bullets on most rifle related forums. We live in age where "best" is constantly changing based on new releases and new features. Fan boys are a vocal bunch. Weeding through all the opinions is difficult. I do like the categories brcfo put forward.
The biggest issue I run into when searching for my next scope is weight. I don't mind paying for what I want to a reasonable degree. I am looking in the high end category, but the actual number of options starts to shrink when you put a 25 oz. weight limit in this category.

Deep subject and too subjective to really come up with a classification to fairly categorize! Easy example...I'm new to market...my product is superior to everything...but I have to get into consumer hands...my price will be 650.00...but it's WORTH....4 times that...where do I fit?

Deep subject and too subjective to really come up with a classification to fairly categorize! Easy example...I'm new to market...my product is superior to everything...but I have to get into consumer hands...my price will be 650.00...but it's WORTH....4 times that...where do I fit?
You would fit in the 2nd category, $500-$1000. If your scope is that good, then you'd be the best in the 2nd category. Not too hard to figure out.

The groupings of scopes is how I consider it as well. I like this proposed adjustment as well.
  • Mid-Range ($500-$1200)
  • High End ($1800-$3000)
Most of my use is at a somewhat shorter distance compared to most here. I care most about low light performance and weight. I don't need to spin knobs or take a rifle shot through the tube....so I have a different preference than others.

I'm also not afraid to buy used or older models, so I've had very good luck jumping up a category or two.
Entry level is a bit high, can end up classifying a Barska and a Leupold VX-3 as entry level. Huge difference between the two. Top quality fixed power scopes can be had for lower prices than mid-level 3-18x scopes as well. Lots of subjectivity, just gotta do your research.

Many times I've noticed posters make very broad statements like: my X brand scope is better than my Y brand scope, however, the scopes are at different price points so can't be fairly compared. Unless, of course, you're trying to convince the reader to upgrade from a lower-level scope to a higher-level. For example, "My Nightforce is better than my Leupold." Which Nightforce and which Leupold? Here is an article I recently read from an Amazon author where he put various scopes in 4 categories and then compared each within the same category and did not compare one category scope to one outside that category. I think this is much more useful comparison than broad statements.

• Mid-Range ($501-$1000)
  • Upper Mid-Range ($1001-$1500)
  • Top End ($1501 and upward)

Thanks much for the link and article. Like others, I have my preferences and biases especially when it comes to hunting and shooting. This article was a reminder that there is extreme value in using common language when making any comparisons. And last my preferences are just that, "my preferences".

This thread is a big waste of everyone's time IMO. No offence to the OP but trying to have more then three people agree on anything none the less scopes and/or which price point they belong to; I mean opinions are like a$$h@les… let me make this simple so we can all move on to something like who's going to buy me a $6000 TT cause I can't afford one. (But I don't NEED one either) 😉 BUY THE MOST FEATURE LADEN SCOPE THAT MEETS YOUR TRUE NEEDS AND YOUR BUDGET. I use Sig BDX scopes as it has ALL of the features I can afford.
However, After all, isn't this the true way of social norms these days. Buy the most expensive no matter what. Keep up with the Jones's. I've been guilty of this in the past so I'm not casting stones.
Don't get me wrong if it's a true need and it's say $5000 then I'd say you'll need and should break out a fat stack.
Anyway under 200 words so better then 1000 on nothing useful
Just my 2 cents.

Even this is subjective, but I think it would be good to have some sort of common language when assessing the value of a scope. Granted that people are on different levels and their understanding of what is available is also on different levels. For me I would more roughly consider the following, but my list would be different five years ago based on my knowledge then.
  • Mid-Range ($500-$1200)
  • High End ($1800-$3000)
Typically when I am shopping for scopes, I have a quality standard which I don't want to drop below for that particular application, but my primary concern is magnification and reticle for said application. If I am looking for say a 3-18x50 FFP scope with a useable reticle, I may have to look at different price/quality tiers to compare comparable options. I think ultimately there will always be apples to apples and apples to oranges comparisons because some scopes punch above their weight class and others aren't worth the asking price. Doesn't matter who makes them or where, and a feature that I find essential may mean nothing to another buyer. A premium offering might not check all the boxes that a more moderate one does, and a small sacrifice of glass quality may open up doors to a host of other available features.

I love having too many scopes to choose from, even if it does drive me nuts sometimes.
I agree, with what you said, I have yet to find the one and only scope that I can move to any rifle, so scope per purpose and price point make a lot of sense.