Scope Clearance

Dan Conzo

Can anybody tell me the approximate clearance of a Leupold LR Scope (50mm obj, 30 mm tube, 72 moa elev) using a 50 moa tapered one piece base (Farrell, Near or other with Picattinny slots) with the proper heighth rings (I assume they are available) over a 1.25" barrel using a M700 or M70 action or even with another action (or different barrel dimension) something that I can get a handle on? I'm aware of the adjustable rings, but don't want to go that way if possible.
Thanks.

Dan

Dan, unless someone has that exact setup, which I kinda doubt (50MOA bases?!?) I think you might have to resort to just plain getting the scope, base, barrel setup and get a set of rings thru a dealer that would let you return them if they are the wrong height, try them, etc. Other option might be to break out the ruler and pencil and sketch out the dimensions of the various parts relative to one another, and eyeball it. Getting the angle of the 50MOA base right would be the hard part for me, I'd guess.

HTH,

Monte

Monte

Yeah you are right, I'm in the process of figuring it right now. I figured someone would probably have a similiar set up. A 20 moa taper just won't do. I'll have to find out what heighth rings are available also. The scope head will be sitting over a barrel block which is .800" high from the center line of a 1.25" barrel. I guess if I have to I can extend a thick base back from atop the block but that would maybe too high.
Thanks for answering.

Dan

I've put N.F. scopes on Nesika actions fitted with alum. barrel blocks over 1.45" dia. barrels. I've made tall aluminum bases with the Weaver/Picatinney dovetail on top and cut a matching radius in the bottom with 20 min. to 1 degree angle. The 1 degree was too much, even for the "mile gun" when we wanted to be "on at 100 yds" with the N.F. NXS.

308Hawg
Thanks for the information. I would like to reach 2400 yards with the 300 gr MK (338) @ 3000 fps with 72 moa (elev) in the scope I would guess I would need (still figuring) at least 35 moa. What do you think?
Thanks.

Dan

308Hawg

I'm not really concerned if I can't zero at 100 yards. I was looking at the Badger website you posted, they have rings really high-I'll just have to figure which heighth. Also since I have to get the base custom made by Near or Farrell I suppose I can get it made thicker (higher) regardless which taper I get which might be the way to go for clearance. With my block and 1.25" barrel clearance would be the same as for a 1.5" dia barrel-something like your set-up with your NF 56 mm head and 1.45" barrel.
Thanks for your help.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.