scope clearance

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by nelsonic, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nelsonic

nelsonic Member

I just mounted my new burris rings on my kimber rifle...I use a 50mm. obj scope...I still have 5/16" of clearance between the scope and the barrel...it makes it difficult even with a high cheekpiece to get a good sight picture...before I order a shorter set...what is the minimum correct clearance between the scope and barrel?

2. murf

murf Well-Known Member

Nelsonic,
    Minimum clearance would be just enough for your scope covers. I wouldn't want them contacting the barrel at all, just a little daylight with covers installed is all you really need.

Murf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 3sixbits

3sixbits Well-Known Member

nelsonic: if you can slid a notebook paper between the objective cover and the barrel your just where you need to be. Vary much higher and you might have to get your necked stretched to see through the scope. However on my hunting rifles I like to be able to open the rear see-through cover when the bolt handle is lifted and the bolt is being pulled to the rear for extraction. This seems for me to be a perfect fit and this is what I try to achieve on all my big game rigs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif