Scope choices

Chris, I would put one of two scopes on my custom rifle.

A nightforce NXS with the NP-R2 reticle(I like the 3.5x15x50). I think these are the best scopes IMHO. I'm putting this on my 338 Lapua. (Full Custom)

Or, if you want to stick with leupold go with an M1 Tactical. The Turets are great. I have a 3.5x10x40 on my 7STW.

I don't like the europeans because I like to be precise in my MOA and they are metric. Also, the Euro's have the magnifying reticles.

I have not even noticed the metric system. That is one thing I will keep in mind. Over the past couple of years in college, I have learned to deal with the metric system. It is still a pain when everything else is measured using the american system. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've got a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 on my 416 WBY, a Vari-X II 3-9x40 on my Daughter's M7 243 and they both work well.

The 3-9 spent 2 DAYS under water beating around the rocks and machine in the current hanging on by a thread. The sling was caught up around the handlebars when it got swept down streem in about 4' of water, broke the stock at the wrist also. When we were able to get to it to winch it out in the raging torent, the rifle was STILL there!

First thing I did was look at the scope. Glass was intact! Looked through it, perfectly clear, never leaked, just some scars on it from the whole ordeal!!!

In my mind, that was a torture test! If you could have only saw how swift that water was, machine was lodged against a tree and the bank, otherwise it would have been GONE downriver in a blink! Spent two days in there.

I've thought of sending it to Leupold and have them check it all out, but I hate to be down a scope, and it still works perfectly.

I do like the Vari-X III with it's click adjustments and moved to them, the Vari-X II with the friction type turrets are alright, but not as positive as the click type.

so far I have owned 5 leupolds, 1 Nikon, 2 redfields.
leupold:
2-7 varX-II on a custom 458 win mag
1-4 varx-II on a win mod 70 458 win mag
6.5-20 40mm varX-III on a 7mm rem sendero
6.5-20 50mm LRT, Gen2 from Premier reticle on a 300rum sendero
1.75-6 varX-III on an Ar-15
gilmore dot on a ruger 454 casull
nikon monarch 2x on a ruger 454 casull
redfield widefield low profile on a Ruger No1 in 375 h&h.

my favorites are the leopolds. they work great and have the longest eye relief I have found. this is VERY important with high recoiling rifles. never had any problems with any. my last rifle (300rum), I really considered the Night force and schneider. just could not justify the added cost for supposedly added performance which I could not really see.

Iam with Brad on this one. The MP8 reticle and optical quality, is what makes IOR a great buy.

We are living in great times in regards to optical quality. Alot of great glass and coatings out there. Lots of options..sakofan..

Would that be the European scopes that allow you to range with your reticle on any power setting, funny that Prem ret rework Leupolds to do just the same?
The metric system of rangfinding, measurement and adjustment is the way to go guys. if you use a mil dot scope.. what doies the mil stand for? some would say DUH military,, wrong . Miliradian and a tenth of a miliradian is 1cm @ 100m. 1 miliradian is 1m @1000m. your military range in mils. they then fart about converting to MOA, they then adjust in fractions of MOA, then shoot the bad guy with a bullet measured in mm, (7.62) if he aint on his won they maybe call in arty or an air strike on a grid ref on a map that is graduated in KM,.
now if they would just stick to Miliradians its all plain sailing, all 1's and 10's.. faster to use every single time, easier to use every single time. and besides the European optiks from S&B, Zeiss Swarovski and Kahles are measurably better than the NXS. more so over the Leupolds and IOR's.. mildots, milrads and cm m and km is the way to go..
Pete

I broadly agree with Pete (although Pete, I think you may need to try decaf!
smile.gif
). I also think it was Pete who pointed out some time ago that the Leupold 'good eye relief' actually translates into low FOV - certainly an effect I noted when I, briefly, owned a Leupold 8.5-25.
Another related point is illustrated by the New Zeiss Victory Binos....widely rumoured to be less good than the old Zeiss. The supposed reson for this is that the lenses are now being manufactured (in the US?) to meet the US restrictions on max glass lead content. Good glass needs lead. This may have a read across to why European manufactured European brands (that aren't being manufactured to meet this restriction) appear brighter.

Scopes are a fascinating technology. I have been playing with it for the last 10 years or so. In that time, I have seen significant improvements to Leupold, S&B, Zeiss, and others mentioned here.

I think the key point is that people spend a great deal of money on a custom rifle and then take the first scope that is offered by some store clerk, applying less thought that they would if buying a basket ball.

Bottom line, rule of thumb decision rule is that you get what you pay for. I would say with a custom rifle I would budget a minimum of $1000 for a scope, and several hundred for good rings and base. (Of course, more if you can afford it.)

D.
smile.gif

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

If anyone is interested, I own a Horus Vision "Red Label" (Former Top of the Line) scope with their first focal plane, Fine lined, Ultra Long range reticle in it that I am posting for sale at $900.00 Firm. This scope had a slight problem when new and was sent back to the factory by me personally for repair. The reticle is calibrated perfectly and there is no presence of fish-bowling. Since I know the manufacturers fairly well, they handled the repair personally, so this is as solid as they come... Comes with a sunshade and anti-glare filter. It is currently mounted and is slightly used. There are several scratches on the tube where it mates up with the rings, but other than that, it is 110%.

Is that a US optics monstrosity sat atop that nice looking rifle?
I have a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 precision hunter,it has 1/20 miliradian (5mm) clicks on adjustable turrets and a side paralax, its brand new, never mounted, in its box and i am prepared to do some one a favour and make em a bargain if anyone is interested, ive decided to opt for a 4-16x50PMII due to the 1/10 miliradian clicks, suits my purpose better.. i'll sell it $1400, SWFA is advertising same scope at $1898. so if anyone is interestedand wants a bargain drop me a line. Pete

Pete: You must be in Europe... I heard that the 1/10 MIL clicks per 100 yards were dicontinued for the US market; unless you mean 1/10th MIL clicks per 100 meters. Either way, awesome glass.

W.,.. yep i am talking meters, wouldn't go back to using yards, meters and miliradians and 10ths or even 5ths there of are far easier to compute using the grey matter..
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.