Scope Choices....hmmmm...

hvychev77

So, i just dropped off my Rem. 700 in 300 Win Mag. at the gunsmith yesterday. I bought a Kreiger fluted barrel, in Sendero/Varmint contour, and H-S Precision stock. He's going to cerakote the entire rig after doing all the gunsmith work (true the action, machined recoil lug, chamber, thread, install barrel, bed the action and crown). Anways, my difficult decision now is which optic. I did a search on the forum here and didn't really come up with anything so, i'll ask the question. I'm stuck between the Vortex FFP 6-24x50, or the Sightron iii series FFP 6-20x50. So, which one would you pick and why? Any experiences with either?

Ive got a PST 6-24x50 with the EBR1 reticle,
my first FFP scope to date, for the price point, i just dont think you can go wrong with vortex. I picked mine up used for $650. however, if your a veteran, and have a DD214-you can get that scope new for 30% off from vortex.

I unfortunately do not have any experience with sightron-however, i started with the viper HSLR-now have the PST, and am satisfied with the optics. Its not leupold VX3 (just my opinion) clarity-but for the money and features, you are getting a good buy.

I have a PST and a Sightron SIII. Both are second focal plane though. I would take the Sightron over the PST. Glass is much better.

Looking at the same thing as you are for the same caliber. I ruled out the vortex as it seems the Gen 2 are fantastic but the lower end, not so much (per reviews, not personal experience) I would add in the Burris XTR II with the SCR reticle and the Bushnell HDMR as well. All seem to get very good reviews as far as glass and tracking. If I end up with FFP I will likely get the Burris but I might just go SFP and get one of the SHV's from NightForce. I will mostly be using mine as a hunting rig. Still not 100% on the optics and still researching.

Not bashing Vortex, but I have a Vortex PST in FFP and not happly. With magnification dialed up to max, most of the perimemeter edges are blurred to where only 40 percent of the sight picture is viewable. And, that is not very clear. I would say the glass is not on par with other manufactures at this price point. This one will go back to Vortex.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds about on par from what i've been reading online. I do have a Vortex scope and like the zero stop. It has worked very well for me, but this will be a hunting rig, and clear glass at dusk is highly critical for me. So, i guess i will pass on the Vortex and keep researching. However, just as a side note, my gunsmith does the 1000 yard competitions and highly recommended the Sightron. The only thing i don't like about the Sightron is not having a zero stop..... thanks again. cheers fellas.

I run a IOR 3.5-18x50FFP on my 300wm XCR Long range tactical,the glass is great and since I use this rig for tops hunting scope has to be sturdy,I think you will find this scope has all the features that you are looking for?

There was someone on here doing a group buy for zero stop shims for the SIII's. Try a search. I was thinking of getting one for my SIII as well.

Save your money a little bit longer and get a NightForce. They are pricey but well worth the dime(s). I just got a NXS 5.5-22x56 w/zero stop and MOAR reticle and all I can say is, Wow!
I took my Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR/T off my 6.5x284 and mounted the Nightforce in the same rings. I had to add one click (1/4") to get to my normal zero. First group, at 300yds w/140gn A-Max's, was less than an inch!
My shooting buddy got the SHV 5-20x56 w/ZeroSet and he's pretty happy also. Our groups tightened up a bit but we only took them to 600yds that first day. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.