scope choice

G

I have been looking into different scopes for long range shooting. I it seems I've heard alot about the leupold on this site. For long range deer hunting I was thinking about the 6x18x40mm varix-2? But what I need help with is all the different vari x modles they have. For the money is the long range modles that better because they have side foucus, and 30mm tube. Are those 2 options worth the extra 300$ over the vari x2
Thanks for any help on this matter.

Bubb

The LR has a 50MM objective lens, 30mm tube, a side wheel focus and either the 6X to 20X or the 8 1/2X to 25X model.

Are they worth the extra money, I think so, but you can get a 6 1/2 to 20X 1" tube and it will work very well for you also.

Go to a sporting goods store that has both scopes and compare them side by side.

Later
DC

Bubb,

Stick with the Vari-X III scopes for long range shooting.

The Vari-X II's that I've seen, are nice scopes, but not designed to be used past 300 yards, or adjusted in the field.

Tim

Bubb, good quality optics is critical to success.

It depends on what you mean by LR. For flat shooters, 1000yds is going to need around 20 to 30 min of adjustment from a 100yd zero. This covers just about every 1" scope that you can put target knobs on.

If you are planning on going further or using something like the 308, then more elevation is better. Shimmed bases and Burris Sig rings will help you get the most from your scopes.

The best bang for the buck is the Elite 3200 10X with mil dots. 80min of elevation and pretty decent optics. Under $200US. Enough mag. for hunting out to 1000yds - no kidding.

The most elevation for the money is the Tasco Super Sniper from SWFA. I like the 10X, not the 20X. Never seen the 16X. 120min of both wind. and elev for $300.

Leupold gets a lot of press but for the money, my eyes think there are better brands. If you are going to spend that type of coin, look at the Nikon tacticals, Elite 4200 target scopes, and IOR Valdada. I feel they all have equal/better clarity, brightness, and resolution then the Leupolds, for less money. Burris is also good but usually need factory installed turrents for most of their product line.

You can't hit what you can't see, and you need to have confidence that 10 clicks get you 10 clicks of adjustment. A factory rifle with a decent scope is much better then a custom job with unstable optics.

Jerry

All very good statements. I did a survey on this subject quite a while ago. Started with asking the bechies, since they are the extreme. Some of the answers that I came up with are that Nikon, for instance, are not "repeatable." The Nightforce NXS are excellant, but expensive, as are the Swarovski, and other euoropean brands. I like the side focus immensly better than the AO style, and it will alow you to use Butler Creek's. Can't do that with a scope made with an AO. The 30mm tube has more adjustment, but the glass is not any bigger than what is in the 1" tubes (at least with Luppy's,too exclude the LPS lineup). The best deal going is the 3200 and 4200 Elite riflescopes by Bushnell, formerly Bauch&Laumb. Glass in the Luppy VXII isn't any better. The VXIII is superior though. More light allowed to come in. Hope this helps.

Bubb,
IMO the 6-18 VX-II would be a wise choice for starting out.
It already has the turrets, It will easily go to 1000 yards with that 300 rum, has 12 more inches of max elevation than the 1" 6.5 by 20 VX-3. For this you lose 2 power. Just mount it in burris sig rings with a 10 thou shim under the rear base for good measure and give her a whirl. Then if you find out superlong is in your blood you can pawn it off on ebay and probably get within $40 of what you paid for it new. Then get a big LRT.
That being said, I am very new to this as well, about a year, and I followed the advice of Darryl with the Leo LRT 6.5x20. I couldn't be happier with it from a bench setup. But if I were putting a bipod on a rig to tote around, where 6-700 yard shots are the exception and not the rule, I think I would go with the VX2 6-18 Target 40mm.
HPA

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts