Scope choice

First Question What are you going to use your rifle for? Are you shooting long-range targets or just hunt at long range hunting areas? Your point of not being able seeing your rental is true I have two FFP vortex 4x16 30 mm one on 300 win. other 6.5x 284 and when I am moving the woods my scope is set at 8x or 10x! I have shot deer in the late afternoon that I had to use the lighted rental to see the cross hairs! The final question is it legal to use a light where you are hunting? My son in law tells me to be careful your not buying the bleeding edge of technology when what need is a crescent wrench

First Question What are you going to use your rifle for? Are you shooting long-range targets or just hunt at long range hunting areas? Your point of not being able seeing your rental is true I have two FFP vortex 4x16 30 mm one on 300 win. other 6.5x 284 and when I am moving the woods my scope is set at 8x or 10x! I have shot deer in the late afternoon that I had to use the lighted rental to see the cross hairs! The final question is it legal to use a light where you are hunting? My son in law tells me to be careful your not buying the bleeding edge of technology when what need is a crescent wrench
Mainly a hunting gun, and I know illuminated reticles are legal where I live. Kinda nice not to have to use it tho to shoot up close, lol

With this gun, not planning on shooting much over 600. Maybe 750 tops.

I would suggest you at least think about planning ahead if you might shoot farther. Dad didn't plan on shooting more than 800 yards with his new lightweight elk rifle, he's just getting into long range. The first day after load development we shot out to 1300. First round hits at 1800 is as far as we've gone now. Dad never thought of his gun as a long range setup but here we are

I'm not shooting anywhere near the distance you're talking about. But for a great low light scope I really like my Trijicon Accupoints... Sightron is also supposed to make some great value scopes. Just depends what you like, want and are willing to spend. I love looking though the NF scopes but haven't bit the bullet yet due to a lack of need for the yardage we hunt. However, the more time I spend on here, I see the potential to wonder down that path.

E898893F-B380-4CF8-A1BF-BD70FE6D2FD2.png
Check out the Meopta Optika 6.

Last edited:
I agree. IMO FFP is an old technology that went the way of the dinosaur when laser rangefinders came out.
I am on my 3rd attempt at getting behind a FFP scope - I hate it...I always do, no Idea why I keep buying them. Guys will argue that their wind holds are the same at any magnification...Inches are easier for me to hold, so that is what I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts