Scope choice help

tlong

I am looking to get a new scope for a build, and have narrowed my choices to 4. I am not concerned about weight, but this will be used primarily for a hunting rifle and I want to shoot steel at 1000 and work my way to 1760. Here are my 4 choices, but I am open to suggestions as well.
1) Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRFFP MOA (or MIL)
2) Burris XTRII 5-25x50 SCR MOA (or MIL)
3) Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24x50 FFP
4) Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 FFP

EDIT: This will be on a 7mmRM with a 26" barrel.

First recommendtion:
Decide whether you want a MIlDot or MOA reticle before you chose the scope. There are two primary reticle religions - MilDot and MOA - and everyone has their own reason for preferring one over the other. I like MilDot for ranging but I prefer MOA for fast uncomplicated changes in windage and elevation so I rely on MOA references.
Second recommendation:
The variable powers you have listed will, based on my experience and preferences, get you to 1K. For that mile you may want to increase that a bit.

I have both MOA and MIL scopes now, and am comfortable with both. I only listed them in case someone had first hand experience with a MIL scope and not a MOA version they could still chime in. If I do shoot to a mile, it will only be for fun and show, not something that I would try to win any competitions with or anything. The main focus is for hunting.

I have heard great things about the bushnell rifle scopes. For the price and what your doing they should work fine.

I have the Sightron 6-24 x 50 with moa2 reticle. The scope is awesome. With a 20moa base I have 68 moa left and 20 in the reticle; enough for long range with my 300wm. The glass is awesome.

Thank you for the responses. From what I have gathered, I won't go wrong either way. I'm going to try and get behind each of the 4 mentioned to see how my eyes like them and go from there.

Thank you for the responses. From what I have gathered, I won't go wrong either way. I'm going to try and get behind each of the 4 mentioned to see how my eyes like them and go from there.

If you can experience all four under real world conditions.......that would be the absolute best way to decide. As you've eluded to......everyone's eyes are different.....so it becomes a very subjective decision.

Wayne

Senderfan and fearnowind make great points higher magnification for further distances is a plus at the longer distances, but the low end of those scopes are usually on the high side for close range hunting! As far as comparing, it's a definite must to compare scopes at dusk and dawn to really see what glass stands out, the scopes you speak of will be pretty **** close in the middle of the day! I would certainly throw into the mix the Leupold VX-6 line, lighter weight, great glass, smaller knobs and the 4x24x52 TMOA is a great functioning scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.