Scope Base Reco

kennygss

Looking for some input on a scope base for a new rifle project. Having a 7mm Rem Mag built on a pre 64' Winny action by long rifles. It is setup for an old redfield ( 3 screw) base. Since there is smithing going on, I figured I could update. Suggestions for a base and ring setup??

I would go with what you favor. I run rails on all mine. If you go alum.it is not that much weight gain and I like ease of being able to swap a scope. If you like something like a talley go with it. I like my stuff similar for ease of change, like rings, different heights more options if you high grade or change something out.

I recently did a Pre 64 Win Mdl 70 and used a Near Mfg. rail and Seekins rings. I had the smith bed the rail and when done he checks with a dial indicator on his mill for trueness. When done properly and using quality rails and rings there is no need to lap the rings. The receivers are never right and the rails need to be bedded in my opinion.

I recently did a Pre 64 Win Mdl 70 and used a Near Mfg. rail and Seekins rings. I had the smith bed the rail and when done he checks with a dial indicator on his mill for trueness. When done properly and using quality rails and rings there is no need to lap the rings. The receivers are never right and the rails need to be bedded in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. When you say "bed" I assume ypou mean machine the top of the receiver flat? Did you go with a picatinny type? Any MOA?

Bedding refers to a bedding type compound to help take out the stress and true up. My custom actions have rails that are pinned, slotted to recoil lug and mounted with larger screws. I had a ss abolt loosen baseand I bedded with JB WELD:D .When a base loosens it is hard to chase down in the beginnig. There is a picture of a custom action,with custom slotted rail mouted, notice recoil lug at front ring. This is in todays classified-Jense precision 338 edge, might go to page 2 by time you look. This also has larger screws I would bet.

Yah, That is not your norm, but what I had and I keep my rifles. You would put a layer of bedding and just mount base not to snug. Let dry, pull base then locktite and torque to screw specs.

Originally Posted by kcebcj

Thanks for the input. When you say "bed" I assume ypou mean machine the top of the receiver flat? Did you go with a picatinny type? Any MOA?

You could machine the top of the receiver to get it true but you want as much strength there as you can get so removing metal is a bad thing. Receivers are rarely true so if one just bolts the rail down it could twist or arch or who knows what. A smith that knows what he is doing will get the rail square and true with the receiver in all directions using the proper tools of his trade and a bedding compound of his choice. Once the bedding compound has cured and is cleaned up and the rail is torque into place the rings will line perfectly.

Chose a rail with the proper MOA pitch so that whatever scope you will be using can adjust to the range the rifle will be capable of. On the last Win receiver I used a rail with 10 MOA. Yes Picatinny type.

I can't warm up to seeing that bar between the scope and action.Kind of clutters things up.
I used the Burris Signature rings on weaver two piece mounts. Inserts take care of alignment an have up to 20moa elevation adjustment with the inserts supplied.
Easy.
Cliff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.