Scope and Mounting Suggestions for 20" AR

Ranger260

Hi all! I am a 1st time poster here and was hoping to gain a different perspective from here....
I was hoping the forum could offer some suggestions for a scope for my new AR. First, a little background on me and my project. I am not new to the AR/M-16 platform, but this is the 1st time I have set up a rifle with optics. When I originally embarked on putting a rifle together, I was hoping to put together something between a predator rifle and a varmint rifle(accurate, but still light enough to carry), while being on a budget. Through the help of a friend and some of his connections, I ended up with something nicer than I budgeted for, but a little different than I intended.

The rifle: Rock River Varmint A4 upper, 20" SS barrel, 1:8 twist, 5.56/.223, Hogue free-float handguard, Mohawk lower, Rock River 2-stage trigger, Magpul PRS stock. The barrel was lapped by the person that assembled it.

I believe this rifle will make an excellent target/varmint (bench)rifle, with an occasional short jaunt away from the truck for predators (seems to balance well at this point despite its weight). What do you think would be a good scope and set of rings/mount to explore the potential of this rifle? Despite an appreciation for the finer things in life, I would like to try and keep the scope under $500 if feasible, as I have other projects I am working on. But I can be flexible. I need something that works, but it doesn't have to be top-end. BTW, this is my initial attempt at trying to learn long-range shooting techniques. I would eventually like to pick up a .308 bolt rifle (or larger) to continue with this endeavor.

As much as I would like to spend the big bucks, these are my initial thoughts:
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Mil-dot or Plex reticle
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, Nikoplex reticle, or mil-dot
Bushnell 4200 4-16x40, multi-X reticle, or mil-dot
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40, Nikoplex reticle, not sure I like 1/8 moa adjustments

Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V, .223 Ballistic X or Dual X reticle
Burris XTR rings, (what height would I need for my scope??)
Warne rings
Super Sniper rings

I am not sure what would constitute over-scoping or under-scoping this rifle. Of course I know it's not always the arrow...it's the Indian. Also, if you have any suggestions for a bipod and a durable, but not overly expensive case. I am thinking a Harris bipod and a case from Midway at this point. Any thoughts on Keng's Versa-Pod? I thought they looked pretty nice when I saw them at SHOT last year.

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Yeah, I would like to get a bolt gun too at some point, but the deals I got at the time were on AR parts, so a semi-auto was put together. I hear what you are saying about the LaRue mount. They are very nice, but I could buy 3 nice sets of standard rings for that price. And I have already posted questions at ar15.com. It seems those guys really lean toward fighting carbines though.

I have a virtually identical rifle (I have an RR lower). I use it for coyote hunting here in the Midwest where most shots are 300 yards and under and some praire dogging while antelope hunting. For me it's hard to beat the 2.5-10 Nikon Monarch with the BDC reticle. The 2.5 power is great for coyotes in tight cover and the 10X is more than sufficient for most of my "long range" work with that gun. The BDC works well once you establish reference marks for each distance on the reticle.

You've got a nice rig, ENJOY!

I tried the Nikon BDC reticle on a friend's gun and I was not real fond of it. But I had no idea how he had his scope set up. 7mmSendaro, how did you mount your scope on that upper?

BTW, I plan on using this rifle for rabbits/coyotes in the sage country here in AZ and up through UT/WY, as well as for prairie dogs in the grassy plains of the Dakotas. There should be plenty of paper-punching mixed in as well.

My upper is the EOP version (Elevated Optics Platform) so I simply mounted directly to the upper using Burris Zee rings that I lapped in. If yours is not an EOP, you'll likely need a 3/4" to 1" riser to get it up to eye level.

The BDC is only as good as you set it up and understand where your gun\load hits versus the various aim points at distance. Also keep in mind, the BDC is only accurate at the same power setting you sight in at. The circles are ballistically calculated at the max power of the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts