Scope and hunting ammo for 460 S&W?

I run a Burris 2.5-7 and after 800 rounds on my 8.275" 460 with no problems. It's handled everything from 45 Long Colt equivalent 255 grain bullets at 900 FPS (Trail Boss is our friend!) to 335 grain hard cast at 1725 FPS. Remember when you're shooting this beast, you can't "manage" the recoil, but you can ride it out.

I got the Leupold 2.5-8x32 coming. I also found Hornady 200 grain ftx ammo. Is this good ammo for large deer? Lastly, what 1" rings do you recommend? Thanks

I use 4 Weigand rings on my .454 and .500. Yes the .200 will work, I would keep it under 100 yards but personally I shoot 240s and .300s.

The 200 FTX round will perform well on large deer ... and on Coues deer. Bullet held together and there wasn't a speck of lead left in the meat.

Attachments

• Coues 1.jpg
    Coues 1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
A few years back a friend that had a sporting goods store ask me to take a Ruger Red Hawk 454 and sight it in for a customer. It had a Simmons scope on it. One shot and done. Sounded like a tin can full of rocks when you shook it there were so many parts rattling around. Replaced it with a Nikon.

I have never had any trouble with the old Weaver, Nikon, Leupold or Burris scopes in hard recoiling pistols.

I just acquired the 10.5" 460 VXR. Mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x. Will be testing several loads including Hornady Handgun Hunter ammo, FTX, and a couple of Federal Premium offerings with Barnes and Swift A-Frames. Plan on taking this rig to Alaska in June for black bear. Good luck with your 460.
I have the same scope for my XVR with the 14" barrel. I have tried to site in but my shots are still all over the place. I actually had better accuracy with my green dot but do not want to give up on the scope yet. Do you have any advice on what I could do better? I reload my own ammo and have been using the 300 gr xtp with 4064 and lg powder.

I just acquired the 10.5" 460 VXR. Mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x. Will be testing several loads including Hornady Handgun Hunter ammo, FTX, and a couple of Federal Premium offerings with Barnes and Swift A-Frames. Plan on taking this rig to Alaska in June for black bear. Good luck with your 460.
I have the same scope for my XVR with the 14" barrel. I have tried to site in but my shots are still all over the place. I actually had better accuracy with my green dot but do not want to give up on the scope yet. Do you have any advice on what I could do better? I reload my own ammo and have been using the 300 gr xtp with 4064 and lg powder.

Have you tried the scope on a different revolver? What rings and how many are you using? Silly question - are they torqued to spec for all screws? And pushed as far forward as possible in the picatinny slots?

I've had great success with the Leupold 2.5-8 on both a 460 (14") and 500 (10.5").

Check all your mounts, screws etc first. Shoot supported a mic as possible to take the human factor out. Have someone else shoot it for you. Normally with a good scope it is not the scope that is the issue but you have to drill down and troubleshoot until you find The cause.

Obviously all screws properly tightened is a must.....but, you want to keep them that way!

I use blue Locktite on all scope base/rings on "all" firearms. Without some form of locking material....the screws only get loose at the worst possible moment! 😉 memtb

TE="jls in az, post: 2172860, member: 17271"]
I run a Burris 2.5-7 and after 800 rounds on my 8.275" 460 with no problems. It's handled everything from 45 Long Colt equivalent 255 grain bullets at 900 FPS (Trail Boss is our friend!) to 335 grain hard cast at 1725 FPS. Remember when you're shooting this beast, you can't "manage" the recoil, but you can ride it out.
[/QUOTE]

TE="jls in az, post: 2172860, member: 17271"]
I have the same exact rig. I just swapped the scope out for a Sig red dot that's motion activated . I don't carry the beast while elk and deer hunting tho. Too dam heavy . Carry a Glock 20 10mm now.

Check all your mounts, screws etc first. Shoot supported a mic as possible to take the human factor out. Have someone else shoot it for you. Normally with a good scope it is not the scope that is the issue but you have to drill down and troubleshoot until you find The cause.
Thank you. My mount is good and screws are torqued according to the recommendations. Will have someone else shoot it. Thankfully the range masters there I trust to shoot my gun.