Scope and hunting ammo for 460 S&W?

WEATHERBY460

I just got a 14" Smith & Wesson 460. I plan to hunt large deer and bear with it. What scopes will hold up to the recoil, and what do you recommended for factory ammo? Thanks

I have a Burris 2-7 on an Encore 15" that kicks like no other hand gun I 've ever shot. On sand bags it sheared off the forearm screws, Is that tough enough? That was with Hornady ammo.

I have a Nikon on my 454 Casull revolver but they do not make them anymore. For a handgun you are stuck with Burris or Leupold. I have used Burris and have never had an issue, I just bought a 460 and put an Ultrdot Match dot on it for now. That will do out to a 100 yards but eventually I will put a Burris handgun scope on it so I can get out to 200 yards. As for ammo, I was able to find some Hornady but have not shot it yet. I have my first set of handloads ready to go with Barnes bullets.

Something to be aware of on the Burris handgun scopes; the eye relief changes when you change the power/magnification. The Leupold's eye relief stays constant throughout the power/magnification range.
This is very true. I have a Burris and wish I would have bought the Leupold.

I bought the Burris since it had a higher power up to 12. I leave mine set on 7 for all shots now.

Buy the Leupold if you plan on doing very much power adjustment.

I just acquired the 10.5" 460 VXR. Mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x. Will be testing several loads including Hornady Handgun Hunter ammo, FTX, and a couple of Federal Premium offerings with Barnes and Swift A-Frames. Plan on taking this rig to Alaska in June for black bear. Good luck with your 460.

Never tried the Burris but I have 5 Leupolds on pistols. I run the 4x28s on .44 mag .357 and .22 and 2.5x8x32 on .454 and .500, never a problem except. I purchased a silver one for my .500 and there was a tiny spec of silver something on the inside of the eye piece. Sent it back to Leupold and they cleaned and sent back, runs like a champ. The only Leupold I ever had to send back!

I had a Burris 2x7 with illuminated reticle on my 8 in. S&W 460 for many years until a few months ago. I put a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on it that I took off an AR. As Gunin4m said, the power changes eye relief. I didn't like to pull it closer to my face on 7 power.
I like how the Sig is motion activated. Nice incase of grizzley incounter. I had a Burris 1 to 4 power Burris on my Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. I took it off also and use open sights on it now. I've shot 350 gr. Beartooth loads thru both. Never a problem with either Burris scope or their rifle scopes. Same with Leupold .

Last edited:
I rock a 2.5x8 Leupold on my 14" Performance Center 460. I bought the setup used for a great price and the scope has been more than adequate for all my needs! If (when) I get a PC 500, I'll go the same route as the set up on the 460.

What Mark said. Leupold would be my first choice. I had one by MGM, 15" Encore bull barrel with break and it trashed a Simmons 2x6 pistol scope. It was an older scope. I went to a 4x Leupold for a while and then found a UltraDot Match on this sight and installed it. It was a great dot scope and good out to 100 yards for the hunting I did. It never lost zero after about 300 rounds of Barnes 200 grn XPB's and a stiff load of H110. I never shot any heavier bullets after getting a 1" group with the Barnes and taking two hogs and a deer with it.
Burris is a good scope and exceptional warranty. Good luck.
Mike

What Mark said. Leupold would be my first choice. I had one by MGM, 15" Encore bull barrel with break and it trashed a Simmons 2x6 pistol scope. It was an older scope. I went to a 4x Leupold for a while and then found a UltraDot Match on this sight and installed it. It was a great dot scope and good out to 100 yards for the hunting I did. It never lost zero after about 300 rounds of Barnes 200 grn XPB's and a stiff load of H110. I never shot any heavier bullets after getting a 1" group with the Barnes and taking two hogs and a deer with it.
Burris is a good scope and exceptional warranty. Good luck.
Mike
I have a 20 in. 460 Encore barrel that is brutal. I was thinking of having a 24 in. 460 MGM barrel with brake made. I was following the late great Jerry/JE Custom and he had an MGM barrel that he started off at 27 in. and cut down inch at a time to see what length was most efficient . He stopped at 24 in.. he made his own muzzle brake for it that reduced recoil by 52% if I remember correctly. I was going to buy a brake from him and have the MGM barrel made at 24 in.. He has been greatly missed by all since passed away.

I have a 20 in. 460 Encore barrel that is brutal. I was thinking of having a 24 in. 460 MGM barrel with brake made. I was following the late great Jerry/JE Custom and he had an MGM barrel that he started off at 27 in. and cut down inch at a time to see what length was most efficient . He stopped at 24 in.. he made his own muzzle brake for it that reduced recoil by 52% if I remember correctly. I was going to buy a brake from him and have the MGM barrel made at 24 in.. He has been greatly missed by all since passed away.
Consider Magna Porting, I had my Freedom Arms model 83 in 454 Casull Magnum Ported and it did wonders for the recoil

Consider Magna Porting, I had my Freedom Arms model 83 in 454 Casull Magnum Ported and it did wonders for the recoil
I had thought of it. I didn't want to do anything to it because I wanted a longer barrel .I had a Magnabrake made for a 300 RUM 26 in. sporter barrel . It cut recoil by 40% . I just did a build on MGM site to see how much $ it would be for a 460 barrel. M/L contour or full 1 in. bull only for .452 dia. I used M/L .875 dia.. 27 in. W/integral brake. Gives 25 in. of barrel. Same as my 6.5 PRC barrel but it's 1 in. Full bull. Spiral fluting took 6 oz. Off the beast. Did bead blasted stainless . A 5 in. four hole picatinney rail. Came to $555.... My other barrel was $550 in 2018. Can't complain. Did fluting later.