Scope and Cartridge Help

Given the bullet options and the variety of game you're going to hunt, a 30 cal makes a lot of sense. A 130 ttsx at laser beam speed and a 230 Berger for devastating performance + everything in between. My 2 recommendations are a 300 wm and 30 Nosler. This is the exact advice I gave my buddy a couple days ago for an elk rifle.
This is a little like buying a tow vehicle. Need to worry about the heaviest thing you're going to pull. Everything else is will be easy.

Last edited:
How long did it take them to make it right for you?
Three weeks from the time I shipped it to the time I got it back. Even then the windage turret was all over the place and it wouldn't hold a steady zero. And yes the rings were tight and the rail is pinned to the action.

It will be a rifle I plan to hunt most animals with out to 8-900yds in the right conditions. I mainly rifle deer hunt and archery elk but plan a rifle elk hunt outta state in the next few years. I have a tikka 270wsm I would also like to build off but have all the parts for the 700 already just need a cartridge. I have a 7mm rem mag and love it. But you can't have too many guns and I'm always wanting something different. I like cartridges that most common hunters won't have and to be a little different.

The .300 WM (own three) remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

If you want something different, build your own wildcat round cartridge. This can be costly, fun, rewarding, etc ... wildcatting is not for everybody. For my wildcat, the additional cost is custom reamer from Manson, and custom reloading dies and hydraulic forming die from Whidden.

I have no hands-on experience with your scope choice but there are plenty here that are happy with it. Good luck!

Three weeks from the time I shipped it to the time I got it back. Even then the windage turret was all over the place and it wouldn't hold a steady zero. And yes the rings were tight and the rail is pinned to the action.

WOW! That's not good. What's your next course of action? I hope you get it resolved.

I just bought a new LRP 6.5-20 FFP last year for my .264 WM but have not mounted it yet. It was not my 1st choice but could not resist the sale price. This is my 1st Leupold scope purchase since 2003. We shall see ...

WOW! That's not good. What's your next course of action? I hope you get it resolved.

I just bought a new LRP 6.5-20 FFP last year for my .264 WM but have not mounted it yet. It was not my 1st choice but could not resist the sale price. This is my 1st Leupold scope purchase since 2003. We shall see ...
I traded it to a guy who is putting it on a .22 and doesn't care. It's a Leupold so if he wants to he can send it in again.

For an awesome scope that tracks and holds poi try one of the Bushnell Elite 4500's that Natchez has on sale right now. Just bought another Fri. and that makes five of these so far. Great for load development, hunting, and shooting. There won't be anymore when they are gone and company is heading in the wrong direction IMHO. Far as cartridges go its a pipsqueak compared to many but the 7mm-08 will go forever (2500 or more) if you take care with the barrel, and it will reach out well and give decent accuracy.

Since you have the barrel already I guess you've settled on a caliber. It's hard, in my opinion to go wrong with a 28 Nosler. Despite the fact that I don't have one it's been on my radar for a long time. If you're wanting to shoot long high BC bullets I would recommend getting it throated for such to help keep the long bullet out of the powder column.

JM2C

I have built many 28,s and they are the real deal. Only thing I changed was to go from a 3 degree to a 1 1/2 degree throat. They shoot like crazy even from a 3.4 box. With regular bullets. The 165 sierra GC is the longest bullet I have tried in the short box.

Having a new long range hunting rifle built off of a rem 700. Haven't quite decided on cartridge but leaning towards 28 nosler. Any others I should be looking at? I've got an edge fill McMillan, and proof carbon fiber barrel so I'm trying to keep weight down. The vx6HD has caught my eye with being light and having everything I want. Anyone have first hand experience with the 4-24? Any other scopes I should be looking at? Let me know what you think!
For elk and moose out to 1k I'd seriously go with a 30 Cal at the minimum, I've stretched a 6.5 saum out to 900 on elk and it was stupid to be honest, and I was lucky the hit was absolutely perfect.

I've also had issues with the vx line of scopes not tracking.
Check out the mk5's I have a 3.6-18 , and a 5-25.
They're awesome scopes that track perfectly, I can't say enough good things about them.

You should have taken a hammer to it and said you were in a wreck:rolleyes: Would have gotten a different scope.

Having a new long range hunting rifle built off of a rem 700. Haven't quite decided on cartridge but leaning towards 28 nosler. Any others I should be looking at? I've got an edge fill McMillan, and proof carbon fiber barrel so I'm trying to keep weight down. The vx6HD has caught my eye with being light and having everything I want. Anyone have first hand experience with the 4-24? Any other scopes I should be looking at? Let me know what you think!

We picked up a 4-24 on black friday from EuroOptic for $1400. It's an excellent optic. I put it on our Sako 85 260 and haven't had any issues with it at all. I wasn't wild about the turret feel. I think leupold could do a better job there. They also didn't line up past 12 MOA until i zero'd the rifle, now it's fine. The turrets have grown on me i just would prefer more resistance from click to click and more audible and tactile clicks. This was a major complaint of the mark 5 for me as well. Glass is reminiscent of my MK5 i previously owned which is very good. Little CA if your cheekweld isn't perfect but other than that i really like the optic. For that price it's in a category by itself considering it's weight. I personally prefer it to our Zeiss V6 but these aren't readily on my rifles so i don't spend that much time behind them. If you can find it around $1500 i think it's a great buy. The only optic i have compared it to is my AMG which is considerably more expensive. It fairs well but it doesn't quite have the resolution the AMG has.

As for other scopes Zeiss V6 are quality. I like their turret feel better than the leupold, not wild about the reticle options on either, or SFP in general if i'm being honest. I think there needs to be a larger market for Mil based FFP hunting scopes. MOA is kind of moot at this point for the rest of the industry outside the benchrest crowd and hunters stuck in their ways JMO (albeit unpopular)

If you already have a Rem 700 long action magnum and a 7mm proof barrel I would be looking at the 7mm Sherman MAX from Sherman wildcat cartridges. Much better barrel life over the 28 Nosler, it's different like you are looking for, has headstamped ADG brass, and performance is great. It's purposely designed for heavy for caliber bullets, and with your long action will make the most out of the cartridge.

If you didn't already have a 7mm barrel and had elk and moose on the list I would go straight to the 338 Sherman MAX.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts