Scope alighting with rifle barrel? Please help!

MNCoyote

So within the year I have purchased a vortex crossfire II scope for my Remington 700 sps varmint in .223rem. Although I really like the scope and have it sighted in for 200yrds I can't help but notice while I'm sitting down on 9x zoom that the scope seems as though it is crooked from the barrel ( scope angles a tad right while the barrel is obviously straight.) could it be that I'm using the same rings and bases that it came with for the *** tasco or whatever scope? I did make sure everything was tight before installing the new scope so... What do you guys think is the problem here? Once agian the scopes front objective seems to angle to the right side of the gun. The reason I know this is just from sometimes pulling up while sitting and shooting (with rest in chair) and to confirm it I pressed my head straight down on the comb of the stock and looked right at the center of the bolt (firing pin) the. Came straight up and I was seeing black from the scope which meant the eye peice or whatever was more to the left. I even was getting a little of the outer ring of the scope into my field of view. I am a righty and this gun is a right handed gun. I shoot both eyes open but my right eye is my dominant so this puzzles me a lot. Once again if anyone know what to do it would be much appreciated!

You might be experiencing a quality control issue from Remington. There are rifles, from different manufacturers, that get released for sale....with scope base holes drilled and tapped off center line of what would be the bore. I think the accepted tolerances vary.....and most are adjusted for by the internal adjustment of the scope.

If it's something that bothers you....or impacts the performance of the rifle....I'd recommend taking it to a qualified gunsmith and have them fix it for you. Otherwise.....if it doesn't impact the performance....guess I'd just try and ignore it. Your experience, among other issues with mass produced rifles, is why there is a very large market for custom actions. Custom actions generally have very tight tolerances and everything is in alignment.

I'm still living with my Remington's.....and a few Savages.....haven't been able to afford a true custom action but have looked several over. Worth serious consideration after paying to have the Remington's accurized.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Last edited:
MN, perhaps the original rings are not that precise. If you have a long straight edge, place it beside the scope mount screws to see if there is any run out near the muzzle to indicate the screw holes aren't true. Many use Talley one piece lightweight rings and align hone them for better fit/contact. Torque to spec with an inch pound torque wrench and a little thread lock. The Talleys are reasonably priced, hone easier than steel and precisely made. There are other rings both higher and lower priced if the screw holes are true if you prefer. Good luck

Well today was a really nice day although a 5-10 mph wind was coming in from the 10 -11 o'clock position, I put a target out at 382 yards laser verified with a bushel rangefinder. The reason for the odd range is that the scopes drop hashes for a 200yrd sight in are set for 379yrds with the second hash. The gun I'm pretty certain hit at least 5 of 6 shots although other friends were shooting a .243win so it was tough to determine. I was very suprised by the fact that a stock rem 700 sps varmint could hit consistently at that distance. Also, if it is nice out tomorrow I will try a go at this again hopefully less wind for the little 55gr's to have to deal with :rolleyes:. Since I have tried this I'll probably just let it go with the scope how it is, the max I shot I would realistically take in a hunting situation would be 500 yards. Although, I can shoot upwards of 1000yrds in some areas..... Might have to get a .308 .300 or .338... gun)

Well today was a really nice day although a 5-10 mph wind was coming in from the 10 -11 o'clock position, I put a target out at 382 yards laser verified with a bushel rangefinder. The reason for the odd range is that the scopes drop hashes for a 200yrd sight in are set for 379yrds with the second hash. The gun I'm pretty certain hit at least 5 of 6 shots although other friends were shooting a .243win so it was tough to determine. I was very suprised by the fact that a stock rem 700 sps varmint could hit consistently at that distance. Also, if it is nice out tomorrow I will try a go at this again hopefully less wind for the little 55gr's to have to deal with :rolleyes:. Since I have tried this I'll probably just let it go with the scope how it is, the max I shot I would realistically take in a hunting situation would be 500 yards. Although, I can shoot upwards of 1000yrds in some areas..... Might have to get a .308 .300 or .338... gun)

Yeah....I think most would think a 55gr. pill from a .223 would be a 500 yard max combo. I have a friend with a .22-250 that shoots laser beam groups....but 500 yards with a wind.........that's about it. My 1,000 yarders are a 6mm Dasher with 105's, a .260 improved with 140-142's and a .308 with a 1:10" twist barrel shooting 185gr. VLD's. And beyond 1K....then .338.

Best of luck,

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.