Scope advice.

Inkoosikas

Hello folks, I am looking for some advice with a scope for long range target shooting. I am starting to get into long range shooting and I am looking at getting a decent scope for it. I currently have a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with the fire dot duplex reticle. It came with the rifle I am currently using, but I would like a scope that is oriented more toward long range target shooting rather than Hunting.

I know that the pros are using scopes from Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, etc... The really high end scopes are way out of my price range, but I would like to get a scope that is going to be good enough for me to use for a few years until I can afford something really nice.

I am hoping to sell/trade my Leupold and put ~$500 into it to get a decent scope. I would like to get something in the x24 magnification range as I will also be using the scope to call my shots as I really cant afford a spotting scope right now. I am a believer in the "buy once cry once" idea, so I don't want to buy a spotting scope just yet as I would like to be able to put at least $1000-$1500 into it.

So, what would you folks with experience in long range shooting suggest I look into getting? I would also appreciate some advice as to what reticle to look at, as I really am not sure what I should be looking for there. When it comes to MOA or Mils for adjustment, at this point I am also looking for advice as I am not knowledgeable enough to really know what I should do. I am more comfortable with MOA at the moment, but I am a very fast learner and could easily adapt to using Mils if that is going to be a better route for me to go.

I am also definitely interested in going with a used scope, and I am even open to going with a well used scope as long as it holds true and the optics are in good shape, the exterior and exterior blemishes are really not a big deal to me as long as its in good shape where it counts.

Thanks in advance and I very much appreciate any advice folks can give me!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Athlon Ares ETR series
FEATURES
  • ED Glass: Extra Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blind folded.
  • Locking Windage Turret: This Locking Feature allows you to push down to lock the turret and pull up to turn. This feature prevents the windage knob from being turned accidentally and keeps your zero all the time.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

I'm pretty new to long range myself - I don't have much personal experience to share, but it sounds like you might be looking for an actual target scope - something like a

NF 12-42x56
Vortex golden eagle 15-60x52

These are SFP scopes with fine reticles and fine (usually 1/8moa) clicks.

Spotting holes in paper beyond 500yd requires good conditions and FANTASTIC optics. Is that the kind of spotting you are wanting to do?

Where I usually shoot I have pretty ideal conditions, nice temperature, hardly any wind. I can pretty easily spot my holes at ~400yd with my Leupold. But much past that gets difficult.

I don't need or expect to spot holes in paper at 700-1000yd, I would just like better to be able to see hits generally.

But again like I said, pretty new to this, so im turning to expert advice. So I am not even sure if that is something I should be looking for in a scope.

Athlon Ares definitely look like a good option. How is the clarity on them?

I really like my athlon ares scopes. In my opinion you get way more scope than you pay for.

That's good to hear. How is the clarity at max power at long range? I honestly don't have much reference point, ive only looked through ~$300 scopes and my Leupold VX-6HD, so for me the Leupold was miles better than the $300 scopes, but do you know how the clarity compares to the VX-6HD?

I would think that if you would be willing to sell your current scope and put $500 with it you should be able to get a pretty good scope. There are lots of brands like the above mentioned ones that I don't have any experience with. But would think you could get into a used nightforce, a vx6 with more power would be a couple that I've used and had good luck with. As far as reticle I'm a hunter and I dial so for me I can get along with most as long as they are repeatable and I can trust them. And probably should clarify that so far I've stuck with moa. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Hello folks, I am looking for some advice with a scope for long range target shooting. I am starting to get into long range shooting and I am looking at getting a decent scope for it. I currently have a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with the fire dot duplex reticle. It came with the rifle I am currently using, but I would like a scope that is oriented more toward long range target shooting rather than Hunting.

I know that the pros are using scopes from Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, etc... The really high end scopes are way out of my price range, but I would like to get a scope that is going to be good enough for me to use for a few years until I can afford something really nice.

I am hoping to sell/trade my Leupold and put ~$500 into it to get a decent scope. I would like to get something in the x24 magnification range as I will also be using the scope to call my shots as I really cant afford a spotting scope right now. I am a believer in the "buy once cry once" idea, so I don't want to buy a spotting scope just yet as I would like to be able to put at least $1000-$1500 into it.

So, what would you folks with experience in long range shooting suggest I look into getting? I would also appreciate some advice as to what reticle to look at, as I really am not sure what I should be looking for there. When it comes to MOA or Mils for adjustment, at this point I am also looking for advice as I am not knowledgeable enough to really know what I should do. I am more comfortable with MOA at the moment, but I am a very fast learner and could easily adapt to using Mils if that is going to be a better route for me to go.

I am also definitely interested in going with a used scope, and I am even open to going with a well used scope as long as it holds true and the optics are in good shape, the exterior and exterior blemishes are really not a big deal to me as long as its in good shape where it counts.

Thanks in advance and I very much appreciate any advice folks can give me!
I love my Mk5HD 5-25x56 with the PR1 moa reticle.
FFP is the way to go, especially if you're wanting to spot impacts at various mag levels and call your corrections

For a few $$$ more than the Ares ETR,the Athlon Cronus BTR is a fantastic scope for the money. I have a Cronus and it will run right with my NF ATACR & IOR Valdada Recon for almost half the price. I have 3 Athlon scopes,and they have been very good scopes for the money.

After looking into them a bit, I think the Athlon Cronus BTR might be what I try to go with. They look like very solid scopes and I think are right in my price range. They seem, at least from what I've seen online, to beabout the same price range as my VX6.

If we can be of assistance, as a long time supporting vendor here on this forum, it would be our pleasure. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.