Scope Advice

Pstores

I have a couple .260 rem custom deer hunting rifles I am looking for scopes for. I have a couple Leupolds, and alot of Nikon Monarchs. I can get deals on most scopes. Not ever having any experiance with any other brands I was wondering what you guys thought. I shoot occasionally out to 350 yards. I like 2.5-10x42 that I have. Would rather not do side focus. I have a few. Ok, but would rather not for hunting. 3-12 would be nice. I do like the extra power. These guns will be exclusively used for Wisconsin Whitetail and maybe Antlope, or Mulley hunt. Any other options I should look at for under the $900 mark? I pay much less than most sale prices. If that helps.

Last edited:
Well, decided to go with the New Zeiss Conquest HD5 in the 3-15x42. That puts me well below my price point of $900. Thanks for the input.

The guns are waiting for Kreiger Barrels. So, I had lots of time. The 9 Nikons Monarchs have worked well as for the 7 VX3's. Just didn't want to spend extra money and not get a worth while jump in performance. At the $800 price I can get 2 Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarchs and have almost $200 left over. Then considering I have to buy 2 for a total of $1600. That is alot of extra cash compared to $640 for the 2 Nikons. So, what the hell I will go out of the box on these.

burris fullfield2-E1 it is 4.5-16 X42mm with ballistic plex retical I have 1 on a 223 rifle that I use for varments and a burris 3-9 x40mm on my deer rifle. The reason for the 3 to 9 on the deer rifle is that deer around here are rarley shot over 100 yards and most under 50 yards.

Even sounds like the 3-9 is to large. Maybe better off with a 2-8. I have a vx3 in a 2.5 -8x36. Wished it was a 42mm. But, I like that scope for what it is and what it purpose is for.

best bang for the buck is usually in 3x9s and 2x10s. What i do is buy the best scope i could afford in that catagory. Personaly id give up a bit of high end power on a rifle like a 260 to get better optics. Especially hunting in WI where im sure long shots are more the exception then the rule.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.