Scope advice

Decker

My dad and I are trying to upgrade the scope on his 25 year old custom Klein Guenther .22-250. The rifle is a tack driver and has a leupold on it now. We would really like to get improved clarity and light transmission out of the new scope. I really don't think we will be taking this gun out past 4-500 yards so we don't need a high magnification scope but a variable up to the mid teens would be good. We also aren't looking for a super bulky scope. Our price range is about $1500. We are really looking for some quality long lasting glass. We have looked at Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Nightforce to name a few. What recommendations or experience do y'all have with these and other comparable scopes? Thanks for reading my post and any input you have.

From what you are describing, a lighter, mid-power range scope is what you are looking for. It used to be that Leupold ruled the roost in this area, with great glass, light weight scopes. Newcomers include the higher end of the Vortex line and the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44. Anyone of these would fit your purpose. Quality of glass is largely determined by personal preference, so trust your own eyes and give that more weight than the opinions of others.

I can't speak to thew Zeiss or Leica optiona as I have never owned either. I currently have a Nightforce on my LRH rig. The Nightforce line of scopes are great, but they tend to be over-engineered for heavy/tactical/combat use. As such, you would probably find them too heavy and a bit bulky for your application.

My dad and I are trying to upgrade the scope on his 25 year old custom Klein Guenther .22-250. The rifle is a tack driver and has a leupold on it now. We would really like to get improved clarity and light transmission out of the new scope. I really don't think we will be taking this gun out past 4-500 yards so we don't need a high magnification scope but a variable up to the mid teens would be good. We also aren't looking for a super bulky scope. Our price range is about $1500. We are really looking for some quality long lasting glass. We have looked at Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Nightforce to name a few. What recommendations or experience do y'all have with these and other comparable scopes? Thanks for reading my post and any input you have.

Zeiss Conquest line. 4.5-15....6.5-20. Buy from CameraLand a sponser right here to LRH. Price for either is less than $1500...for sure.

P.S. At a recent Demo sale they had the 4.5-14 for as low as $499. and the 6.5-20 for as low as $799. Pretty decent prices on great glass!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.