Scientific Muzzle Brake Test ideas?

nitrousmudbogger

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to actually test the performance of a muzzle brake. I have heard of Winchester a long time ago putting the firearm on strings and weighing it down. They would pull the trigger and watch how far the firearm would move on a pendulum. Seems kinda old school. There must be some good ideas and newer tech to do such a thing.
Not sure where to put this post so Admins feel free to move.

When I was writing an article for my web site on muzzle brakes I built a simple sled that use a compression gauge that once compressed it locked the dial so you could read maximum compression.

RVB Precision - Welcome to the world of ultra precision

A real easy way would be to use a piece of bicycle inner tube with the valve stem. Cut a section about a foot to one side of the valve stem and a few inches to the other side. Seal both open ends. Attach to the valve stem a simple dial type "tire pressure gauge"....use one that locks on the max pressure.

Insert the longer section between the butt pad and your rest. Fire a shot and read the pressure on the gauge.

Look on this site on muzzle break test.

There have been some test performed that worked good.

Maybe not scientific but effective.

The best on I saw was a test that used a plastic mat that was placed on a flat surface.

The rifle used a bi pod and was remotely fired and was allowed to recoil unimpeded. the
distance was measured from a starting point.

This test did not give any recoil numbers but it did a good comparison between brakes.

The same rifle was used so the difference was obvious.

J E CUSTOM

The other day I was at the range and two Blackhawk employees were testing the effectiveness of their recoil reducing stocks. They were using some sort of a force transducer hooked up to a laptop that was clamped to one of the 6"x6" upright posts. They simply put the gun against the pad and pulled the trigger, this would be the most scientific means of testing a muzzle break.

Putting a hard transducer against a stock and then the stock against an unmovable 6X6 post is a sure way to destroy a rifle stock!

You need something to absorb the recoil, like and inflatable device like mentioned above.

I see some of these supposed "experts" or "factory engineers" do some really dumb things sometimes...........

Putting a hard transducer against a stock and then the stock against an unmovable 6X6 post is a sure way to destroy a rifle stock!

You need something to absorb the recoil, like and inflatable device like mentioned above.

I see some of these supposed "experts" or "factory engineers" do some really dumb things sometimes...........

L:rolleyes:L! Perhaps they're testing the 6x6 and stock t:D:D ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.