School me on weatherbies

[

QUOTE="Lenny Foffa, post: 1699613, member: 100742"][/QUOTE]
Hi, I own three Weatherby Mark V Rifles, a .270 Weatherby Mag; new from 1973 and a 300 Weatherby Mag, used from 1982 , and a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in.270 Win, my favorite Deer Rifle ,purchase used in 2011. All are scoped with Leupold Vari X three scopes. Dual Dovetail Bases and Magna Port on the .300 Weath. Mag . These rifles are beautiful to look at and shoot extremely well. These I think these are excellent rifle, High quality Fit and finish , with Hi Velocity rounds that are excellent hunting rounds. I hand load for all of them! I have taken game with these rifle with my handloads, and I am completely pleased with the results. Both Mag Rifles have the Weatherby #2 Barrel, 26 inch. many of the rounds have been reloaded 6 times, and still look great. I use IMR 4350 and H 4831 with Fed 215 Mag Primers. Hi Quality Brass, separated by .5 Grain weight. I have loaded the .300 Weath. mag, down to .300 Win Mag velocities, with perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy. Proper Pilar Bedding and a professional trigger job will be helpful. My 2 cents !! Enjoy your fine Big game rifle!!!A bit much for whitetail deer, fine for all North American Big game, and African Plains Game. Lenny
Others have said Accumark, but to me it sounds like an Ultra Lightweight. There is a 2-3 pound difference between them, which is notable. If it's light, it's not an Accumark. Post a picture, or measure the diameter at the muzzle.

And yes, I would then suggest a muzzle brake if it's an Ultra Lightweight. You don't have to, but without one you'll notice it.
Others have said Accumark, but to me it sounds like an Ultra Lightweight. There is a 2-3 pound difference between them, which is notable. If it's light, it's not an Accumark. Post a picture, or measure the diameter at the muzzle.

And yes, I would then suggest a muzzle brake if it's an Ultra Lightweight. You don't have to, but without one you'll notice it.

Hi DR. Vette. You and I seem to share two passions. Great Rifles and Corvettes. My latest is my 2011 Triple Black Grand Sport Conv. Huracan sandy Drowned my 2003 50th Aniv. also Triple black Conv. In my Garage at the Jersey Shore. See you at the range , or on the road!!

I agree that it's probably NOT an Accumark if it's light. My Accumark is pretty little long and heavy which helps with the accuracy I'm sure. It's definitelt NOT a brush gun. LOL.

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
The 300 Weatherby Magnum is an outstanding cartridge, I have owned two, the first Remington 700 Classic 24" and the Mark V. I sold the Remington 700 when I picked up the Weatherby that came with a 26" barrel. The 300 Weatherby magnum is a kicker in recoil but I still love the rifle and cartridge. I have owned mine since 1995 cost me $725.00 new but it is on the heavy side, no lite weight rifle. I reload for it 200 grains Barnes X-Bullet powder 7828 producing velocity around 3000 FPS... caribous and a Bull Bison have seen the business end of it.

280, gave my 300 Wby to my son. It is quite accurate and brass is available from several manufacturers. Hand loads are definitely the way to go to make shooting it much more economical. The 3-9 Leupold won't get you very far, perhaps a 4-16X50 would be a good fit. A look in the barrel with a borescope on a used Wby is almost mandatory. Good luck
The 3x9 is more than enough my Weatherby MK-V Magnum carries a Leupold 2.5-8x 36mm, it is a great combination for Alaskan hunting where most shots are under 100 yards.

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
I have the exact same setup . It's adecuate for big game I guess . I might eventually put a more powerful scope . It sounds like a pretty good deal though .I paid $ 1,200 with no scope . It'll be a good addition to your collection.

I can remember when wife bought me a wedding gift of a new Mark V 300 Weatherby Deluxe with a 26" tube back in 1969 for $319.00 . A beautiful made rifle indeed,I still have both
Nothing better than a good woman!!! Been with mine since we were 16 years old (57) now and throughout the years she has spoiled me a little in this way... A Colt Gold Cup Delta Elite stainless for our 10 year anniversary in 92, a Weatherby Super Varmint Master in .243 with a Zeiss 6x24x50 for our 20th. She's a keeper!!!

I like their action but not a fan of proprietary cartridge. Having said that, I have a full custom rifle in .30 LARA that can shoot the factory .300 WBTY ammo in a pinch.

View attachment 146571
(Factory 180 SP .300 WBTY ammo vs .30 LARA with 220 ELD-X)

View attachment 146573

(.300 WBTY AI vs .30 LARA)

Since you're going to reload do a quick check of your brass options as part of your consideration.[/QUOT

Who designed and makes the lara? Never heard of it. Is it a wildcat? I know the weatherby and its brass are readily available . I'm intrigued. Google shows nothing. Thanx

I have 3 Weatherby MarkV rifles.
I got my first 300 in 1975 and still have it, I had it MagnaPorted and it carries a custom maple stock. My 257
Weatherby was my fathers he bought it in 1973 and it has taken a bunch of deer and Antelope and 1 elk.
My latest is a 300 Accumark with a Weatherby factory brake and it's a pleasure to shoot and very accurate.
If the rifle you're looking at is a Accumark you're going to love it. Caution they are anything but light weight.
Try Berger 215 Hybrids they are super accurate and my Accumark loves em.

I own 5 weatherby's all Mark V. In my opinion it is hard to beat a weatherby. Are there better rifles yes are there faster rounds yes but weatherbys fit me. My 300 is a mark v stainless synthetic not accumark (non fluted barrel). I have a 4.5X14 leupold on it and it has killed lots of game over past 25+ years. I have never pulled the trigger twice on a animal with it. Honestly the only weatherby I like more is my 257 ultralight. My 340 (it a accumark) has a special place in my heart as well. I could keep my weatherby's and sell all the rest and never be without for anything i wanted to hunt. if the condition on the rifle is what you say you could buy with confidence and never be under gunned in north america. I reload and use only factory brass but they seem to last quite a while. for my 300 and 340 I like partitions for bullets. Good luck and post a pic if you get the rifle...

I was bitten by the Weatherby bug when I was looking for belted magnums to wildcat for my children. Yes, my children. Starting with my oldest son Zayne, on his 15th birthday I presented him with a I wildcatted and improved 378 Weatherby known now as the 375 Zayne. Same story for my daughter. On her 15th birthday I presented her with a wildcatted and improved a 340 Weatherby known as the 340 Zaylea Ann. My 10 year old is getting a wildcatted and improved 300 Weatherby known as the 300 Zandyr. We just came back from Wyoming and Zaylea shot a submoa group at 1k with her rifle. She is 110 pounds. These rifles are heavy (14 lbs) and braked. There is still a considerable recoil. The 375 Zayne has over 90 ft. lbs. felt recoil without the brake. Do not give up an opportunity to acquire a rifle because of recoil. Everyone has a different level of recoil they can handle. The reputation of the Weatherby rifles is they will kick you into oblivion. That is not always the case. If a 15 year old can shoot a case that holds 144 grains of powder and a 400 grain bullet, shoot it comfortably and accurately, there is no reason why you cannot do the same.
Components are no more expensive than other components of the same calibers. The better the brass, the more money you are going to spend. The Mark V action with the 9 lug is arguabley the strongest factory action made. These are extremely good parts that are ultra strong, will hold pressure, and will last forever. Acquiring another Weatherby is a no brainer in my book.

Jayson

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts