School me on "the doughnut "

rcoody & JE, your concept of donuts are completely wrong. A donut is not any unsized portion of neck as you chose. If it were, bushing neck sizing would always cause a donut, and this is in no way true.
You should take a few minutes to read up on the subject, in a book, or google it, as this is an opportunity for you to learn. And seriously, you need to do so before answering questions about donuts..

Mikecr and others are correct

donuts inside

3D-308-doughnut.jpg

3D-308-doughnut2.jpg

false shoulders outside

forsterneckdiecase.gif

Mikecr is correct. A false shoulder is usually the same thickness as the neck. Tapering slightly towards the neck shoulder junction. When I form 22-250 ackley I run standard brass over a 6mm expander then back down part way to 22 caliber, This is a false shoulder. When done fireforming that false shoulder is usually made into shoulder and any of it that is forward is easily fl sized.
Now a donut is brass that is actually thicker than the rest of the neck right at the neck shoulder junction.
Making Sherman Short Mag brass creates a very pronounced donut. I will try to get some pictures of it when I get home next weekend.

rcoody & JE, your concept of donuts are completely wrong. A donut is not any unsized portion of neck as you chose. If it were, bushing neck sizing would always cause a donut, and this is in no way true.
You should take a few minutes to read up on the subject, in a book, or google it, as this is an opportunity for you to learn. And seriously, you need to do so before answering questions about donuts..

Sorry Mikecr, But I have probably been loading and Gunsmithing longer than you have been alive
so I don't need to read up on what a doughnut is. I don't understand why you think you are right and everyone else is wrong. I have been loading for over 50 years and have never caused or seen
a bulge or undersized area of the neck inside, at the neck shoulder junction when a proper die setup
is used.

In some cases the base of the neck may be slightly thicker at the base of the neck than at the mouth, but it is only 1 or 2 thousandths due to manufacturing processes. and if the condition exist, turning the neck is the simple process to true the neck thickness.

And am smart enough to know that if you have the condition that you have described, you could never get concentricity of loaded ammo. And all this talk about how bad bushing dies are is more rubbish and "any" die that is not correctly set will screw up the brass.

In fact, if you have this condition, you don't know how to reload good ammo and it is you that needs to read a few dozen books on proper loading and setting up dies for proper performance and spend less time slamming others that try to answer questions.

My apologies to the membership for responding in this way, but I never call anyone buy name if they don't agree, I just post my opinion so the person can choose or believe what he likes to ,so I don't expect anyone to respond in that manor especially when it is someone that thinks that a doughnut is something that you have with a cup of coffee.

PS; I don't really care what anyone thinks a doughnut is, I do and use them to great advantage when wildcatting cartridges. and I like the ones made to have with coffee also.

J E CUSTOM

Brass will flow from outside to inside. Sorry but is true.

Seldom talked about technique for shooting flat base bullets is to turn the top of the necks for about .050 down and a few thousands thinner. Fire them once and that thinner part will move to the inside of the neck. That makes it easier to seat FBI bullets without skewing or damaging case mouth.

Donut on inside can also come from not sizing the neck all the way down and that allows a brass flow. Yes it can be easily measured with pin guages and is by more knowledgeable reladers. That happens when the bullet bearing surface is above that portion of the neck and you never feel it when seating the same bullet. Change to a bullet that is seated deeper and you will feel it. That is also why top accuracy BRAD showers us Arbor presses with gauges to measure seating force.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.