School me on the 7 LRM

I bought the 7 LRM package, going to run it through it's paces this weekend. I'm not expecting miracles in the velocity or brass , but based on its performance for the original owner it'll do what I'm asking of it .

Finally got a chance to try out some test rounds. Loaded 71-73 grains of H1000 and Retumbo. 180 hybrids .015" off the lands for all loads . All loads produced ok accuracy given the conditions, 20 degrees and breezy.

H1000 was the clear winner, 73 grains produced velocities of 3072 , 3079 and 3072 . Very minor pressure signs and about a 1/2" group. I'll concentrate on fine tuning this load in the future.

Retumbo was a fail, 71 and 72 grain loads showed great ES but were very slow , no pressure signs. 73 grains produced 3078 , 3137 and 3197 , very obvious pressure signs and definitely not a good combination.

To me sounds like you have a winner. I also have one. It has a 26 inch barrel and with the 180 Berger it does 3000 fps using the h1000. And is less than a half moa rifle. The rifle is a pleasure to shot and pack. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure there are better 28 caliber choices out there. But when looking for a 28 caliber with quality parts this is the one I found. Good luck and I hope it fills does the job for you.

The brass sucks.
I can 3025 with 71.0 H-1000 28" brux and 175 eld-x. sd of 15 is as good as it gets with this rifle.
This one is going down the road, 7-300wm is chucked up in the lathe right now.

Finally got a chance to try out some test rounds. Loaded 71-73 grains of H1000 and Retumbo. 180 hybrids .015" off the lands for all loads . All loads produced ok accuracy given the conditions, 20 degrees and breezy.

H1000 was the clear winner, 73 grains produced velocities of 3072 , 3079 and 3072 . Very minor pressure signs and about a 1/2" group. I'll concentrate on fine tuning this load in the future.

Retumbo was a fail, 71 and 72 grain loads showed great ES but were very slow , no pressure signs. 73 grains produced 3078 , 3137 and 3197 , very obvious pressure signs and definitely not a good combination.
From my experiences, Retumbo has been a fail in everything I've tried it in. Seems to be a VERY picky powder. Either your rifle likes it, or not...None of mine do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts