School me on the 7 LRM

WeiserBucks

Looking into a barrel for my Desert Tech. I've read everything I can find . Lay it on me , the good , the bad (Hornady brass), and any advice would be appreciated.

What is encouraging is that ADG is supposedly going to make gunwerks head stamped brass for the 7 LRM soon. I don't like the hornady brass either.

That would be great. I think it is a better case design than the Rem Mag and the 28 Nosler is overkill. I have had a 7 Rem Mag, 7WSM, 7Saum, 7-300, and a 28 Nosler. I have two friends with LRMs. I loved my 7-300s but I think if I went back to a 7 I would look at the Rem mag for barrel life. The Sherman Shorts look good.

I was planning on a 7-300 when my LRM barrel is done but better brass may change that as I think the LRM is a good design. Really liking the looks of the Sherman Short also though...

I'd hate to buy a barrel hoping for good brass to show up. However, the barrel I'm considering will come with enough brass for a considerable amount of shooting.

Any more comments on this ? I'm still kicking it around. Seems like real world velocity is not all it was originally cracked up to be.

The brass I have on hand has a H2O capacity of 88gr vs 86.5 for the 7 Rem mag I have. To me it really is not worth it. The particular barrel is going to make a bigger difference in velocity than the case. Like I said before it looks good on paper. I just do not think it turned out as good as Aaron and Mike hoped.

I bought the dies and brass for the LRM, but then the 28 Nosler was announced. So the dies and brass got pushed to the back of the reloading bench. I would order a 7mm practical or 28 Nosler over the LRM. But if you decide to LRM I know a guy with the dies and brass lol.

I had nothing but problems with the THREE Gunwerks 7lrm's they made me. They all shot ok but the brass was junk.

I went down this same road as you and went with the 7mm blaser mag instead. Norma brass is very good. Just another option.

I know it's like a fine hair difference, but I have a 7 LRM and really like it.Ive shot several deer and an elk with it. My wife has killed a couple of very nice muleys with it, as well as my son.
It is fairly light, with a gun werks muzzle break. The rifle is light recoil, thats why my wife and son love it. Real easy to get over 3000FPS out of the 180 Bergers, no pressure shoots well in hot or cold weather, always in the 4s or 5s off the bench.
Just a great all around 7 without overkill but enough capacity to push the 180s @3090
Its all personal preference but whats not to like?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.