School me on muzzle breaks

casilva43

I have a Remington sendero in .338 RUM. Everything is factory. I did have the stock glass bedded and tried the action. I wish now I would have bought a 7mm Remington magnum. The recoil can be intense. Is there a way to minimize recoil without sacrificing accuracy? Would love some sound advice? What would be the most logical course of action without having to buy a different rifle?

Personally, I have used two different. 30 caliber muzzle brakes. I had an SJC Titan on my Mega Arms .308 that I built. It was pretty **** effective. Currently I have a Fat Bastard Gen II on my Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag and it is simply phenomenal. Shooting 190 grain bullets out of it feels like something in the .243 range. It just kills the recoil to almost NOTHING! I'm sure you would have great results with it.

338 Ultra without a brake on it is LUDICROUS unless it weighs 75 lbs. Even then I would still have a break on it.
My 1st Edge I leaded the stock and it weighed 45 lbs M/L with a 32 " tube. I shot it some with no brake and thought it wasn't too bad. Then my cousin shot it and was like "Uhhh NOPE". Even at 45lbs a 300 SMK at 2900 is a LOT of recoil.
I'm a recoil wimp, see no reason for it to exist since muzzle brakes do exist.

I'm actually in shock that Remmy built a non-braked 338 Ultra. Might as well hit someone between the eyes with a 2x4. All of the Ultras I have seen had brakes on them. Hmmmm might be a reason for that.

I think you've got a great gun in that 338 RUM, you just need a brake installed. I shoot a Sendero in 300 RUM and after about a dozen rounds it starts to wear on you. I had a DE 3 port brake installed by RBros and can now shoot it all day. Makes a huge difference.

Just brake it!! Many great designs out there these days. I have a generic3 port brake that I had a local 'smith make and throw on my .340 WBY (factory stick #2 barrel and Tupperware stock -lightweight) and now I can actually throw some lead downrange for a long day shooting and not whimper and flinch like I'm gonna get punched in the face every time I pull the trigger. I was told it may or may not make the gun shoot better, but it'll definitely make you shoot better.

Wow, I'm blown away. I wish O would have done this 10 years ago! Are there certain brakes used on 338 calibers that work best? Any I should stay away from?

Do they all irritate bystanders or people sitting next to you at a range?

Any Brand out there considered the best?

Wow, I'm blown away. I wish O would have done this 10 years ago! Are there certain brakes used on 338 calibers that work best? Any I should stay away from?

Any Brand out there considered the best?

Brakes work great. But they can be loud and some outfitters will not allow clients to use brakes. So when you have brake put on make sure its removable and comes with a thread protector.

There is a good brake test on the precision rifle blog. If you are going to shoot prone I'd steer away from a brake that has ports facing the ground. They kick up dirt. And yes, they are annoying to shoot next to.

I have a Remington sendero in .338 RUM. Everything is factory. I did have the stock glass bedded and tried the action. I wish now I would have bought a 7mm Remington magnum. The recoil can be intense. Is there a way to minimize recoil without sacrificing accuracy? Would love some sound advice? What would be the most logical course of action without having to buy a different rifle?

There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes (stay away from radial ones, holes all around) to choose from; it reduces felt recoil and muzzle rise.

If you're asking for muzzle brake recommendation, do a custom search on the top right hand corner for "muzzle brake".

I have different muzzle brake design on my various rifles but my latest acquisition is the mini version of the one in the video below on my .300 WSM ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=1[/ame]

"IF" you're really concern about it and willing and able to afford it and of course legal in your state, get a suppressor ... again plenty of choices out there.

I currently have an Eliteiron .30 Bravo on my custom rifle.

[ame]https://youtu.be/vvfQn9_2Ac8?t=1[/ame]

I have owned 3 different 300 RUM's. One BDL and 2 Senderos. I shot the crap out of them with no break and learned to deal with the recoil. I recently had one rebarreled in 300 RUM and it now wears an APA Lil Bastard break. After the first shot with the break on it (first time I had even shot a rifle with a break) I realized what an idiot I had been. Recoil to me is comparable to a Remington SPS 7mm-08 that I shot earlier this year, although I believe my RUM is not even that much now. I have no experience with any other breaks, but I wouldn't hesitate to use an APA Bastard or break of a similar design. I wouldn't want holes on the bottom of the break for the reasons stated in earlier posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.