schnieder barrels

Jimm

i was discussing custom barrels with local gunsmith .he said he has used all of the different custom barrels on different projects but that he prefers the schnieder barrels.anyone out there have experience with them?what makes them so special(if they are)he did mention something about them being cut one groove at a time. thanks ,jimm

To each his own! I had one vary well know BR gunsmith who told me to take my Snider barrel blank to someone else. He refused to install any barrel made by Snider. When I asked him why he said his rep rode on his work and he would'nt install it. I have known a lot of shooters who love his barrels. So you hear both sides. I have never had anything but great luck with Lija, Hart, and Shilen. "YOU PAY YOUR MONEY AND TAKE YOUR CHANCES" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't have any and have never shot any but I know that Darrel Holland likes them as well as a couple other big name smiths and I've also heard a few say that they would rather install a Douglas.
I also know a guy that hates Lilja's , I believe that it has alot to do with the way the barrels cut on the lathe , this guy said that the Lilja's and Pac-nor's cut like lead. Not to sure , I know that you can get a turd from anybody and a good barrel maker will replace it. ask what theit stand is on that?

jj, you are right ,experience varies and no one makes/does everything perfectly all the time.i'm just trying to gather a broad range of experience so that i can benefit from it when i build a new rifle. one thing guys i do notice a lot of bullet mfgs. list loads in their reloading manuals that were test fired in lilja bbls. i have a sierra manual that goes back 30 or so yrs. and it has lilja bbls. in it.(how old does that make him or is it a father and son/family thing). the gunsmith that i talked to said that very thing , sometimes you get a bad one from anyone but he didnt include schneider ,said the quality control is simply outstanding.so, looking for those that have exp. with them. see ya, jimm

I have had experiance with Hart , Pac-nor and Kreiger all seemd that they would do what ever possible to help you out , One rig i'm currently working on has a 28" RockCreek barrel , and I can say that I'm very pleased with it , super easy to clean and the accuracy is awsome.

JIMM, Dan Lilja is a first generation barrel maker. He is the son of a rancher. I've shot benchrest with him. The Hart family, the folks that make Douglas barrels, Ive shot with them all, all are vary nice people. All are competive shooters and know what it takes to make a good barrel. Gary Snider makes his barrels out of a shop in his back yard of his Scottsdale home. Last I knew he only had one guy working for him. What does that mean, heck if I know. Most folks buy barrels from custom maker by region. They buy from someone close by. Most custom gunsmith like a particular make of barrel because they personely like the maker, haven't had any complain'ts from there customers. If I lived in AR. I would be loyal to Shilean barrels cause they are close to you. Who buys custom made barrels? Mostly it competive shooters. Looking at the equipment lists of major matches is one way many people chose a barrel maker. I've seen the post on another site about PacNor and Lilja barrels being soft. Supposeably because they shared a melt (50 tons). What you need to know is when you buy a melt from a steel mill like Crucible, the buyer has a lot of control over everything that goes with that melt. If it ain't right to the spec. They ain't going to eat it, the mill is. You need to know that they have good analogical evidence before the steel is rolled. Now, one could ask themselfs if the smaller guy can afford to buy a melt or has to be willing to buy out of stock and not get this kind of control. By the way folks you can do a little research on your own by calling the Crucible Service centers or going online with them. They love to talk about steel! You will find in talking to these barrel makers that most of them are pretty good metalurgist in thier own right. In passing, all my life I've wondered why more gun nuts didn't take metalurgy classes in highschool or college. Or do some outside reading on the subject. Of course if they did nobody would pay to frezze a barrel, I guess. Well as always just another old guys two cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
To each his own! I had one vary well know BR gunsmith who told me to take my Snider barrel blank to someone else. He refused to install any barrel made by Snider. When I asked him why he said his rep rode on his work and he would'nt install it. I have known a lot of shooters who love his barrels. So you hear both sides. I have never had anything but great luck with Lija, Hart, and Shilen. "YOU PAY YOUR MONEY AND TAKE YOUR CHANCES" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

30-06 can you email me with more info on that, thanks.

Gary's barrels are as good or better than most.

Fear not friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW--David Tubb uses them if that soothes your fears.

JB

Of all the ones mentioned, I'd scratch Douglas. Never have had a tack driver from them. They are almost never in the winners circle in BR matches either.

On Schneiders. Tubb shoots them and loves them. I've known folks with them that were very happy. But I also know a fellow that had one put on and it would not shoot heavy bullets. Come to find out the twist was stamped wrong from Schneider. He had his order form and everything. Schneider would replace the barrel IIRC after a bunch of complaining, but never would fork up the barreling costs. Essentially to get back to square one my buddy had to pay for 2 barreling jobs to get one good shooting match rifle. I"ll never buy one for that reason. Others will stand behind their mistakes.

Jeff

3sixbits , youre up to a dollar twobits now.btw i have realized i have had another "senior moment".i confused my reloading manuals,there are not any lilja barrels in my ancient sierra manual, they are in my nosler #4 man.also, are you saying that it is not advantageous to cryo a bbl ? in my knife making ihave learned that the retained austenite is transfomed to martensite resulting in a blade that will make more cuts on a given material than one that has not been cryo treated.btw , i think you made a good trade(ge gob willions of caribou vs being able to shoot anytime) . see ya, jimm p.s. is it spelled snider instead of schneider? i've not seen it in print , only dicussed him with a local gunsmith

I hope out of all this discussion a point or two sorta filters through about these barrel makers. 1. each discipline has disciples of different barrel makers. 2. Most people buy by region. 3. People believe that some makers do better with a certain caliber. 4. Rumors, work both for and against barrels makers. Now that I got that off my chest, ROST495, did you know that Douglas barrel's have a vary high standing amoung cast bullet shooters (rifle) that compete? Personality with these makers means one heck of alot with there sucess. Just **** off a top shooter ie. quit kissing his *** and watch yourself lose business over time. Like I said "YOU PAY YOUR MONEY AND TAKE YOUR CHANCE". Of course boys you can do like I used to do and buy half a dozen blanks at a time, fit,chamber and try until you find one that does what you want. Does anybody start to see any similarities to dragracing in any of this? Does anyone care to guess what the shooting public spends on all of this per year? And you guys thought drugs like heroin were addicting? Anybody out their feel like a start up of an anonymous chapter for gunaholic's with a life time addiction?

Your correct about the spelling of Gary's name, I'm terrible with spelling as I'm sure you have noticed! On the cyro treating of 416R barrel steel, It ain't tool steel! Go visit the website for tool steels and look at the differences between the two types of stainless steels or dig out a book on heat treating and look up cyro treating of tool steels and you will find that for the cold to work on tool steel a certain element must be present thats not their in 416R. If you ask the guys that make the steel why would anybody cyro treat 416R they don't have a clue, but they think it funny that people pay to have it done. Call them and ask! In other words it ain't ATS 34,440C,S30,S60,S90,154CM,ect,ect,ect this list could go on all day as I remember the numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.