Schneider Rifle Barrels?

I'd do more than just pick at that smith a little bit. If he doesn't know how useless it is to spec twists finer than whole inch units, I doubt I'd let him touch my rifles.

There's a short list of questions I encourage folks to ask their 'smith before they fit a barrel the very best way possible for maximum accuracy. If the 'smith gives bad answers, I'm outta his shop. I'll email them to you if you want. Won't post 'em here where 'smiths will learn what the correct answer is so they won't scam customers.

Bart B, I know this is an old post but if you read this please send this info to my pm or email from my signature info.

First of all, I know this is a old post, but someone keeps adding to it due to interest. I recently bought a Winchester Sharpshooter Custom Sporter. It is equipped with a Schneider barrel, and McMillan stock. The barrel is one of the most accurate " standard" contour barrels I have ever shot. It's accuracy rivals my heavy barrels. Additionally, it cleans in a whiz, and dosen't foul very easily. It is snug and smooth from breach to muzzle, and jag tension dosen't change from start to finish. Very smooth, and a very high quality finish internally. Definitely worth a consideration when re- barreling in my book. I'd give it the thumbs up!!!!

I have 5 Schneider barrels at present all .30's 298//3075 groove.2 are 30inch and 2 are 28's. Sadly Gary's barrels are getting hard to get here, I'd love a 6.5 from him.
4 are P5 Polygon Rifled , the other is an old style conventional 6 groove,which I believe Gary no longer does. At one time , Schneider barrels were the barrel of choice for the Australian Army Palma Team.
The barrel I am currently using for Palma has 2800 rounds throught it and still shoots well under 1MOA in fact it is capable still of 1/2MOA when I get my act together.gun)
Polygon barrels are not hard to clean despite what the popular belief is.You just need to learn how to clean them.
As far as Schneiders wearing out quicker well I can tell the forum that I have shot Kreigers ( my second fave barrel ) Pac Nors , Truflites ( New Zealand ) Maddco ( Local ) and I can't say any of them wore out quicker than another.
And , Gary Schneider won a US Government contract to supply barrels for I believe the USMC daytime sniper rilfles but will stand corrected as it was some time ago and I forget the details.
If ever I hear of anyone having a Schneider .30 cal barrel for sale unchambered , I grab it , no questions asked , BTW , David Tubb uses Schneiders exclusively.lightbulb

regards
Mike.

Barrel life's typically measured in how many rounds it goes through before accuracy degrades to a noticable point. Those of us who shoot better will detect accuracy degradation faster than the less skilled ones.

Very true! Most of us cannot shoot well enough to say how accurate a barrel and gunsmith are.

" A man must understand his limitations".

I have a brand new Schneider and it shoots only as well as I shoot! :D

I have a brand new Schneider and it shoots only as well as I shoot!
Now that's the first time I know of that someone said (typed) that.

All the others say their rifle shoots better than they do. All of mine sure shoot better than I do.

In a response to my statement about my rifle's "All of mine sure shoot better than I do"
How do you know that?
Easy to figure out.

My rifles all have an accuracy level; the best ones about 1/2 MOA. As I can't hold one perfectly still, the accuracy the rifles have adds to what my holding area on the target is. The best I've been able to hold a rifle against my shoulder is about 3/4ths MOA. Shooting a 1/2 MOA rifle and holding 3/4 MOA will make bullets print about 1-1/4 MOA on paper.

Several top level high power competitors have tested their rifles in machine rests and they'll shoot sub 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. From prone, the very best their owners can shoot them is about 1 MOA, but typically is about 1-1/4 MOA on a good day. I don't know of anybody who can hold a rifle's aiming point under 1/2 MOA.

Such is life with hand held rifles held against ones shoulder.

Hmmm...could be in error on this but I do believe that David Tubb once upon a time won the National HP Rifle Championship at Camp Perry shooting a Schneider tube! Course David could probably have won it shooting a British Enfield in .303 with a rusty barrel!!lightbulb

Hmmm...could be in error on this but I do believe that David Tubb once upon a time won the National HP Rifle Championship at Camp Perry shooting a Schneider tube! Course David could probably have won it shooting a British Enfield in .303 with a rusty barrel!!lightbulb
David's shot Schneider barrels since the early 1980's; maybe sooner. Schneiders don't shoot any more accurate than the older Hart's, Obermeyer, Kreiger as well as Border and others. David Tubb holds tighter than most folks and he dopes the wind better than anyone else I know of.

He's been full length sizing all his fired cases since his dad, George, proved to him fired cases so sized shoot consistantly more accurate. George's old machine rest was used to prove that and David uses it today.

If Tubb used an SMLE with a rusty barrel at the Nationals, half the folks there, probably more, would outscore him. He's won his championships by only a few points. And Sherri Gallagher's been kicking David's butt for a while and she now holds the record. And Sherri's been shooting full length sized cases forever. Article

David's shot Schneider barrels since the early 1980's; maybe sooner. Schneiders don't shoot any more accurate than the older Hart's, Obermeyer, Kreiger as well as Border and others. David Tubb holds tighter than most folks and he dopes the wind better than anyone else I know of.

He's been full length sizing all his fired cases since his dad, George, proved to him fired cases so sized shoot consistantly more accurate. George's old machine rest was used to prove that and David uses it today.

If Tubb used an SMLE with a rusty barrel at the Nationals, half the folks there, probably more, would outscore him. He's won his championships by only a few points. And Sherri Gallagher's been kicking David's butt for a while and she now holds the record. And Sherri's been shooting full length sized cases forever. Article

Bart

Yep...Sherri has something that David no longer has.....YOUTH! Time catches up to all of us and it erodes certain qualities that we HAD at one time! However...David is still a force to be reckoned with I think! Possibly not over the entire course of events but he's dangerous on his belly bigtime! I knew George well; he invited me up to Canadian one winter to go coyote hunting and I came down with a bad case of flu and I couldn't make it! I regret that to no end because George was a wealth of knowledge; a finer gentleman never lived! A bit of history if I may! During WWII George told me on several occasions during combat his units tank commanders could not locate certain fortifications that he could see with his naked eye as well as binoculars and to assist the tank commanders he would use tracers through his M1 to send rounds as far off as 1500 yards to spot the positions that needed to be knocked out! I had the opportunity to shoot Palma with him on quite a few occasions and a great marksman he was!! His membership on many Palma squads as a firing member was testimony to that fact. I have surely missed him down through the years and also my many conversations with Polly his wife! A real lady if there ever was one!

Take care!

I had one on my .284 Win. It shot great for 800 or so rounds (Berger 180 VLD's 2850 fps). Cleaned the barrel every 25-50 rounds and performed a tedious breakin when first installed. I took a friend to shoot 1000 yard recently and it was getting there for about 20 rounds or so and then suddenly all over the place. Took it in to my smith who borescoped it and said the throat was totally shot out. He was surprised by this given the round count (I kept track of rounds by collecting orange berger boxes that went through the tube). Anyway we put a Bartlien on and he feels I get easily 2000+ rounds out of it. So I am saying they are pretty accurate but as far as barrel life goes - I didn't have good luck in that department.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.