Schmitt & Bender feedback

Last edited:
Those Rubicons have lockers on front and rear where you only have LSD in the rear and an open diff in the front. Plus, the wheel base helps a lot and turning radius. If I was going to go for serious off road only, i would have a Rubicon versus my Dodge Ram. I love my Dodge Ram and it does what I ask of it for everyday 4 wheeling in normal off road and snowy conditions. But, to say a full size truck will go anywhere a 4wd Jeep with locking diffs will go is not the case. Sorry, but anytime you have 4 wheels pulling at the same time versus 3 wheels, with a shorter wheel base aND TURNING RADIUS, YOU LOSE. lol!
Front lockers are not automatically a win lol, most guys that suck at bad terrain. And no I got a E locker rear diff with lsd. Mid size truck not full sized, and yeah, the wheel base isn't a problem for turns. It is for departure and arrival. It's hard to run front lockers on the Tacoma because of the stress it puts on the CVs but I know a few people that do. J

Hey just as many people break their jeeps as dudes break their tacos on the rubicon trail. :rolleyes::p:p

I may have messed up. Is the saying the scope should cost at least twice the price of the rifle, or vice versa?
I personally think that everyone has an opinion and we all are entitled to that.I have never paid over $200 for any scope.Think of it as ice cream,not everyone likes the same flavor.Happy shooting.

Front lockers are not automatically a win lol, most guys that suck at bad terrain. And no I got a E locker rear diff with lsd. Mid size truck not full sized, and yeah, the wheel base isn't a problem for turns. It is for departure and arrival. It's hard to run front lockers on the Tacoma because of the stress it puts on the CVs but I know a few people that do. J

Hey just as many people break their jeeps as dudes break their tacos on the rubicon trail. :rolleyes::p:p
I've never driven a vehicle with lockers front and/or rear but I would speculate that somewhere down the line something in the driveline is going to need replacing. The price you pay to play.

My first good scope was a 8x56 S&B, the Nr1 reticle was not for me and it went... good scope otherwise. Had the classic 3-12x50 which was good but the bdc single turn only gets you to 500yds with a 308. I still a 3-12x50 Zenith with flash dot 7 which is possible the best illumination system on any scope which would be great feature on a PMII. Since a few years I use the 3-12x50 Ultra short PMII with the low turrets.... what a scope. I needed a bit of time to become friends with it but in the meantime it is my favourite hunting scope. It has taken some heavy tumbles down slippery banks and has a few scratches. We compared it to my K624i and it is optically better, bullet holes can be identified at distance better... maybe my Kahles is not the best??? The lock turrets very useful compared to my Kahles that is constantly readjusted when whacking against the rucksack out hunting in the hills.

ghChFUU.jpg

yk9Izh0.jpg

Last year we had a little shoot and S&B have me two scopes to test and show.
First was a 3-27x56 which seemed to have a little less tunnel view I thought than the old 5-25 and the lockable high turrets worked well for me also out hunting. For my first PRS rifle that is just being built I will strongly consider this scope.

SdqlRFz.jpg

t6a3GuI.jpg

Eye relief seemed good, a 13yr old girl, daughter of a friend was popping balloons one after the other with my 300wm.
4liYztb.jpg

We also had a 1.5-8x26 Ultra short dot, pity I never got around hunting with it. Enjoyed shooting off-hand 200yd clays in a bank with it.

wYKCwx6.jpg

edi

I've never driven a vehicle with lockers front and/or rear but I would speculate that somewhere down the line something in the driveline is going to need replacing. The price you pay to play.

It really is a price payed to play. Good mods and quality shop can go far but if you go rock crawling, there's never any guarantees you make it out without breaking something.

I have had most of the mid/top tier glass.
To me, the S&B PMII line is FAR superior in glass quality to any Japanese glass I have shot behind/owned. And other Euro glass too. Razor Gen 2, Razor Gen 1, March, SWFA HD, Bushnell Elite, Sig, Sightron, Steiner TX, Razor AMG (USA), NF ATACR F1 (although these are very very good), Kahles, Cronos BTR, Leupold Mark 4/VX-5HD/VX6HD.

I own three S&Bs. 5-25×56 DT, 3-20×50 MTC/LT, 3-20×50 US. No yellow tint I have noticed. I have sold all of my Japanese glass (except my March on a lightweight hunting rifle) for S&B PMII, Premier, or Tangent Theta upgrades.

Does everyone NEED a (or multiple) $2500-4000 scope? Ha! Absolutely not! But shooting is my vice. Hunting is my passion. That is why my personal rifles are topped with the best. Because when that shot on a game animal of a lifetime in the worst possible conditions presents itself, I want the best chance I have of making that shot count. And being able to see them is an important part of that.
I've never seen the need to shoot game at 1,000 yards. That's not what I would call hunting to me. They call that shooting. If you have to pay $4,000.00 for glass to see the animal and to make an ethical shot, why don't you get closer. when you kill the animal, you will have to hike over there anyhow, so why not just get closer. At $4,000.00 I would think that the glass would outperform the weapon and/or the shooter. Just an opinion, not judging anyone. Everyone has their own way of doing things that make them happy. To each his own.

DKS ~
Great ethical thoughts. Seems long range used to be 300 to 450 for alot of us. Now as you point out guys and gals are practicing a bunch further out. Many fewer can make the shot twice that far or more. Learning to equip oneself and do it on occation are valuable skills even though we may choose not the pull the trigger. These threads and discussions have enabled the readers to think about prioritys for a high end scope purchase. I have never spent more than $1100 for a Schmidt and Bender and i have three. Granted so far my S & B application has been for light rifle so the " Keep it Simple Stupid " cheaper fixed power choices have worked great. I have found them durable, light and the A7 reticle works slick to range a mature Bull elk.

I've never seen the need to shoot game at 1,000 yards. That's not what I would call hunting to me. They call that shooting. If you have to pay $4,000.00 for glass to see the animal and to make an ethical shot, why don't you get closer. when you kill the animal, you will have to hike over there anyhow, so why not just get closer. At $4,000.00 I would think that the glass would outperform the weapon and/or the shooter. Just an opinion, not judging anyone. Everyone has their own way of doing things that make them happy. To each his own.
Coyotes get shot at any distance I see them at and have time to get set up properly. So far, that is out to 1365.
Big game is a different story. My personal longest shot is an elk at 662. One and done.
I have yet to pay $4k for a scope. $3k, yes. As much time as I spend behind them, well worth it. If you take the cost and divide by number of rounds shot with them, I have scopes in that $3k price range that would easily equal out to less than $1/round with the breakdown. I had one of the first run Kahles K624i Gen 3 @ $2999 new that would have been closer to $.50/round. I also have some that, right now, are probably up about $30/round...for now.

I consider it an investment in my enjoyment.

Some people buy a boat and use it once a year. Or a SXS and put 20 hours a year on them. Or a diesel truck and never tow a trailer. Or (God forbid), putting 37" Goodyear MTRs on your diesel and never leave the asphalt. Or buy a Vette and drive the speed limit. If you don't use it, the item is not seen as a necessity to others. But if it makes you happy, go for it. If you DO use it, sometimes only you and a select few others will understand. Case in point...this thread.

I am really glad not everyone wants or needs a $3k scope. They sure would be hard to come by if that was the case. And prices would go up. Supply and demand.

More than likely, this rifle rebuild will be killing my 16 year old daughter's first pronghorn this year. At what distance is TBD.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.