schmidt&bender A8 reticle help

ar10338

I have an older S&B 2.5-10 x 50 with an A8 reticle on a weatherby 270mag and I never really used it for range estimation but now I would like to learn how and what power I should use for ranging.

thanks for the reply. this is a FFP 2.5-10x56 that ive had for 20 years and I still like the clear glass and although I own 4 nightforce and they have the 2R which is a lot easier to use.

No problem using a plex reticle for rangefinding. In fact if the subtension is smaller than the milliradian, it will probably also be more accurately applied. Just remember to use it just like a 2-unit "mil-dot", i.e. 2 plex post tip to x-hair units. It'll be a bit more accurately applied this way than using it like a 1-unit mil-dot from plex post tip to plex post tip.

Don't expect "stadiametric rangefinding" to be accurately applied on game animals that vary in size a lot though--deer, elk, etc. Just today whilst hunting coyotes i had the opportunity to reticle-range a doe antelope at a guessed 14" back to brisket using the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle. I guessed .8 of the 1st to 2nd lines down (3.0 inch per hundred yds.) from the sitting position--not seaddy enough really for the most accurate "mil-reading". It lasered at 625 yds. Here's the equation--

14 x100 / 3.0 / .8 = 583 yds.--NOT CLOSE ENOUGH!

I have found stadiametric rangefinding accurate on most game spp to ~500 yds. max. Stadiametric Rangefinding is the best application of the SWAG acronym i've ever seen really.

thanks for the info and reply .your post reminds me that I have MUCH more to learn about using my standard scopes for ranging. some or the terms you used I have never heard before and gives me a lot of new useful info to study and try to put to use

Good lucka nd have fun with it--although it's not a perfect system, it's certainly better than guessing. I have already had feedback from 2 different guys who used it to range coyotes between 400-500 yds. and it worked for them. FYI, there are 2 important aspects to remember about reticle [and turret] applications, and that is--

1) Reticle subtension is ~inversely proportional to magnification [in 2FP optics], and

2) The mil-dot mil-ranging formula actually defines the math behind any multi-stadia reticle and turret rangefinding and downrange zeroing applications.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.