Schmidt and Bender 12.5-50x 56 Multi Turn

Colcalcipherol

People sometimes get a little excited when one mentions a scope of exceedingly large magnification (in excess of 25x). But before I offend anyone, let me state that I am looking at going into the 2500 yard range with a .375 CheyTac.

I'm considering the the S&B 12.5-50x 56 multi turn. This unit allegedly has 75 MOA of elevation. My concern, however, is that the turrets are in MOA (1/8) while the reticle, I believe, is still in mRad. How does one cope with this? There is also an option for a turret in cm but this too is foreign to me. I'm good with mRad or MOA but not cm with respect to elevation adjustments. My other option is the March 5-40x 56 but I am not that crazy about March rather than S&B.

Does anyone have the S&B 12.5-50x 56 multi turn? The S&B sites are pretty vague and I am wondering if the units really are transposed?

In reference to the cm turrets, think about where the scopes come from. They use the metric system, those turrets are 1/10th mil adjustments.

I have an NXS that has the MLR mil reticle but has the moa adjustments. I range the target and dial in the elevation according to my chart. I do this with all my rifles, works for me.
db

I was more concerned about hold-over. When engaging a target that requires more elevation change than the scope has to offer, one must resort to the reticle. It complicates the issue if you have to switch units. Doesn't seem very logical to me.

If you are concerned about having a scope that adjusts in MOA but has a MIL reticle, then consider a different scope. Since you're already in the 'S&B' price range,you should consider a USO or Premier. Both will essentially build a custom scope for you. Where you can choose the reticle you want and the turret adjustment.

Thanks, Bravo. The downfall of the S&B with the cm turret is that it has less range of elevation travel than the MOA option. Another fact that doesn't make any sense to me. 75 MOA of overall elevation change is about my minimum.

Yes, it will be sitting on a 40 MOA base hence the reason for a minimum elevation change of 75 MOA. This way I can still zero somewhere around 250 yards.

Somewhere, maybe here, there was a couple guys that was using adjustable bases that had a lot of MOA. Maybe you could find it, very interesting.
Db

i have a S&B 12-50x56 its optics is the best. But the scope have no eyerelieve after the 3rd time it hit me i taked it of.I bought a March 5-50x56 it is a fantastic scope, not the same as S&B in optical quality but close.The March have plenty eyerelief and extremly good tracking of the turrets.Another thing that is a bonus the March have a far greater field of view than the NF12-42x56BR telescope. If only the S&B had beter eyerelief.

Have a nice Cristmas
Tmos.

The S&B 12-50x doesn't have as much elevation change either. Plus I noticed the eye relief . . . that sucks. I'll either go with the March or drop down in power to 25. I still have a quite a few months before I have to decide so I'll also wait and see what's new for 2013.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.