Scenar's on game

firstcoueswas80

I have been loading the 180 Hybrid mainly, for my 7 LRM. It has been showing solid potential, but everytime I shoot the Scenar it shows as much if not more potential.

Has anyone used the scenar on game? I have been over the "Dead via Scenar" On 24hourcamfire, just wondering what people have seen from here.

Never tried that bullet myself but have used other target bullets.

Think about what size animal first. Next look at jacket thicknesses and the meplat dimensions. Then figure your impact velocity.

Looking at that bullet online I think that hollow tip is going to either help a lot or cause the bullet to fall apart too fast. Hopefully it will expand in a reliable fashion.

In my limited testing most target bullets work on a more narrow spectrum of game vs a hunting bullet. I have not seen a target bullet that works well from javelina to elk. Some do work extremely well on coues and mule deer. Others work well on elk but don't open up well on a coues or blow them up too much.

If there is not much knowledge of that bullet in follow up posts I would try testing it on coyotes broadside and from the front. See what type of wound channels form at different distances. Any hits will likely stop them in their tracks from that rifle but look at them closer and observe the actual tissue damage characteristics.

I used the Hybrid on a javelina and a coues this year. The weather was TERRIBLE on my coues, and I shot several times so I am not exactly sure about what shots hit him where. I do know for a fact though that I hit him in the neck and he dropped, but was back up with in minutes because the bullet didn't open and cause damage.

First- Did you see the wolf i harvested in the wolf hunting section? 167 scenars. excellent. just look all the ones scenarshooter has racked up with the 155.

My cousin used a 105gr Scenar to nail this doe at 600yds with a .240 Weatherby pushing the bullet at 3300fps! She folded up on the spot with a hit behind the shoulder taking out both lungs and the top of the heart. He didn't take pictures of the entrance and exit, but he said entry was slightly larger than .24cal and the exit was a golf ball sized hole.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_19.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_19.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 87
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.