Scary incident at the range

It looks like it was mentioned in post #5. In any case it can happen to anyone. There are plenty of cartridges that fit in the wrong chamber.

I'd see training classes just throw bulk pistol ammo into bins so students could quickly load mags. It's fine until someone throws a 9mm round into a 40 S&W bin. Or 40 S&W into a 45 ACP bin. Just asking for trouble.

Years ago when I worked in a Gun shop, a gentleman ? came in ad asked for a box of Carbine ammo. I sold him some .30 carbine ammo. Next day he came back and said he gun fired only 1 round and jammed up. I asked to see the gun and **** it turned out to be a AR15 carbine. I told him it was a 223 but he argued that it was "Carbine". He left the gun for me to fix. Thank goodness it was a low pressure cartridge like the .30 carbine. The round exited the muzzle and the brass expanded to fill the chamber. (I've lost that piece of brass over the years) . Took about 1-2 hours to extract the brass. Every thing looked good as far as the gun, go and no-go gauges worked. took the gun down stairs to the range and fired 1 round. Picked up the brass and miked it. Nothing unusual about it, everything was as it should be. Then tried 2 rounds, then 3 and finally a full mag.

Interesting is that the .30 carbine 110 grain round matches the bottleneck of a .223 round.

God must have been his range officer.

Worst case of wrong ammo/ wrong gun.

I'd be very leary about shooting any more of those. I know you can't return ammo to most places, but I think you have a good reason to do so.

Glad you're not hurt.
Forget the retail. Go straight to the manufacturer. Document every detail before sending anything back to them.

That long pointy thing looks like a swaged down 5.6 round, bullet included, that failed to fire & got pushed into barrel as shown by rifling, when blasted by the shorter big fat black out round that followed. All sorts of havoc including detonation of both primers & powder gas expansion. Sort of like a slam fire with a chambered round. Bolt lugs look intact and chamber end of barrel not damaged - lugs not fully engaged upon KABOOM. Barrel not blown away from receiver. Did I miss seeing an explanation of how, what appears to be, a swaged down 5.56 round was jammed into the barrel? Should an event like this go to litigation cause presentation would be huge to match award.

A tribute to hi-strength aluminum alloy upper to contain the explosion as well as shown.

Great photo's for hopefully a long run thread to view an unusual bad event. Yes, post 36 looks like a good start.

Last edited: