• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Scammer Possible Beware lrlarry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a guy on eBay asking about a muzzle break claiming he had cancer and was using his medical funds to buy my item. Shot me a price to buy it, I said yes then he shot me a lower price and gave me the cancer story. Not sure if it's legit or not?

I had a guy on eBay asking about a muzzle break claiming he had cancer and lowballed me. Not sure if it's legit

I make a number of on-line sales, what I have found is that scammers always have a sad-luck story with their scam. They're deployed to Iraq, or they have medical needs, as with this scammer, or some other hard luck song as part of their pitch.

YMMV but I NEVER put a WTB on anything of much value. Scammers don't want to deal with nickel and dime stuff. They go for the large scores like scopes, rifle and high end optics.
Aside that, on another forum I frequent, someone recently got defrauded on a premium scope buy. May have been the same "seller".

It's too bad that on this forum dishonesty has again reared it's very ugly and potentially dangerous head !
IMHO There is no place for people who are underhanded at best !
IMHO This Web Site is kinda reserved for truly for honest, sincere, like minded individuals . (did I mention honesty ?)
On this forum I have shared my thoughts and ideas with a great number of people !
I believe that is the original reasoning behind this web sites existence.
Truly this is one of the best and most informative sites in existence today,. To that end it's up to all of us to help police it and keep it so.
Attention To any potential scammers.
My stated Fact:

I for one would wish that you would ply your unethical tactics elsewhere and never return for your presence is "Persona Non Grata". I hope that I am not speaking out with anger for ,truly I speak with disdain, and lack of respect for these lowlifes.

Kudos to all who reported this !

"Just My 5 Cents Worth Today, Not My Customary 2 Cents !"

Last edited:
Remember guy make sure they post there user name and date in the picture, that picture clearly shows he has cut off somebody's use name. If something doesn't feel right have them take another picture with a new date and send it to you with there phone number. I feel if I want to sell or buy from people here then I should be willing to talk to them live on the phone or them me.

I totally agree when asking for a verification picture. But some people get offended or ****y when you ask them for one. It doesn't matter if they've been members for 15 yrs a pic is still required as some accounts might get hacked.

The world is in enough disarray at the moment without bringing unnecessary devision. This has literally zero reason to be said here.

I find it very helpful to post possible scammers. If it saves just one person from being frauded and scammed out of their hard earned money, then this post was 100% worth it.

I find it very helpful to post possible scammers. If it saves just one person from being frauded and scammed out of their hard earned money, then this post was 100% worth it.

I'm in total agreement with you.

My issue is with the post that I quoted. There's no resean to bring politics into this thread, and even less reason to say that theivery is typical of a "leftist". I lean to right on the overwhelming majority of topics, but I'm neither blind, nor stupid. Im certainly not a "party above all else" kind of person. In politics there is never a "perfect" candidate. Politicians are human, they are never perfect. I've given up the hope of even finding a good candidate for anything other than local positions. There is only the lesser of two evils most of the time.

And the "typical leftist" comment? I know a couple of "leftists" that would put most of you to shame with both their vocal and monitary support of pro 2A actions. If the average big city person (the majority of those that are democrats ie: "leftists" know more about firearms and their safety, maybe theyd be less afraid of them and more willing to both own and support them. Fear is the big problem, not political leaning. But when there are so many voices simply condemning them for what they belive and think, how are they supposed to feel comfortable learning and discovering the thing that we (everyone on this forum) enjoy so much? All this exclusion and intolerance of "them" is causing fear and intolerance of "us" and the U.S. is slowly moving more and more to the left with regard to the second amendment. If we truly want to preserve our right to keep and bear arms, we need to stop this. Instead of it being "us" vs "them" we need to unify as much as possible. "Us" vs "them" just makes the problem worse.

I have several friends that had a fear of firearms in general, but after talking to them about it, showing them how to properly handle them, and taking them to the range with me, no longer have that fear and understand the use and desire to own them. Some still won't own them, and some shoot more than me lol. But none of them are afraid of them now ,and that's what "we" need.

If I can make a small difference like that, with a life so busy that I can barely find time go to the range for myself, how much more could happen if everyone on here did it? But for that to happen, "we" would have to stop thinking of this in terms of "us" and "them" and start realizing that "they" are just people too. And people fear what they don't understand.

Response to a WTB add I have....
Another common scam is posting on eBay, facebook etc that are for things like tractors, welders etc. Its so bad that eBay has a team that looks for those specifically (amongst others). So if you see a price that is too good to be true, it probably is. Some of the telltale signs of the scams: 1) Price too good 2) Story. Theres always a story. Usually its something like someone in the military is being deployed and needs to sell or something. They even give military base names and contact info etc. 3) Odd shipping arrangement 4) Can't see in person. It will be listed in one area but aw shucks its located somewhere else and has to be shipped. and lastly 5) Some kind of odd payment that sounds legit. Something that is like "Wire the money to here where it will be held until you get it and you have 30 days to return etc". Sometimes they are like, send half the money then the rest after you receive and verify it is good. Well they obviously just walk away with "half" the money.

Be very wary of buying, especially online.

Status
Not open for further replies.