• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Scammer Beware

Here's what he sent me.

Hello,

I have a lead for you.

Please contact Bob on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Loretto Tennessee 38469,USA and can arrange shipping. I purchased items from him and they arrived in TOP condition. His cell phone # is (931) 841-9656. You can email him and then ring him...
Forward Message Reply With Quote

Same message that I recieved for a scope I was looking for.

While I agree completely with everything said, I am one who has posted almost nothing since my coming back to LRH but if I do respond wanting to buy something, please go through a "discovery" process on me. I am 71, been hunting since 12, and started benchrest this year. I live in far, northern Utah and hunt ID and UT with an additional excursion to CO to hunt with my son. You have a great site, lets keep it that way. Forgot to mention, I volunteer every Sat. at the Cache Valley Public shooting range located just west of Logan, UT. Great range if any of you ever get out this way. We are limited to 300yd, but Centerville, UT has a much longer range.

Gkempf, man I'm so sorry you got scammed. I hope you get a break and get your money back.

This kind of thing makes it tough for the honest guys out here.

Good luck.

Same thing to me also.I have a WTB Zeiss Scope on here and he sent me a PM with the Tenn. address.I thought something was wrong when it was posted USA in the address,pretty sure we all know that Tenn. Is in the USA.I never responded to his PM...........

you know, the more i think about it, it is rather insulting that he is trying to scam a bunch of guys with guns. you would think he would be over on the birdwatching forum or the chess forum. he must think he is pretty slick. douchebag

If I Had His Info. I'd Be Paying Him A Visit..I Have No Uses For a Thief. Hope It turns Out Good And You Get Your funds Back.

If you sent him money gram or whatever, there would be a video where ever he made the withdraw. Get the video and post it on the local news channel there, I'm sure they could be glad to help out. Somebody needs to pay this fella a face to face visit if he is near my area, I'd be glad to do if for you.

I was scammed once on this site by a real pro.

And after that I decided to devise a method to minimize this from happening again.

Only one guy has made me uncomfortable so I decided to try out my plan.

I had his address, so I google Earthed his home address, went to street view and then called him
after I had all the information I needed.

While we were talking, I told him I had a friend that I thought lived on the same street and did he know him. I told him that maybe my friend an he could visit sometimes and talk guns because he was just back from Iraq. I also described the truck my friend owned that was just down the street.
(I spotted it in a driveway about 4 houses down from him) and then described his car that my friend had seen several times just down a few houses from him.

Guess what, he never returned any of my calls after that and the post was deleted. (Don't know why, all I can guess was the fear of an a** whipping from my alleged friend.

So if you do get scammed and you have the address of the pond scum send him a picture of his house and mention your friend Guido the blade that may come by for a visit.

J E CUSTOM

I got scammed a few years back on some very expensive 4wd stuff. I live in Wa State and the guy lived in Ca. After about two months of no replies I loaded up the diesel and headed south. I went to local PD there and filed charges against him for theft of property and they prosecuted him. I also made a couple of visits to his residence it was probably good he never answered the door...

I HATE THIEVES...... There are ways around getting scammed but requires lots of leg work on your part. Depending on the amount lost there are federal regs that could get the thief as well...

The thing is...there are scammers everywhere and once it happens to you, you become more careful in your dealings with folks. Extra precautions on larger purchases/sales must be taken. I agree with previous posts in this thread, and I, like the 71 yr old gentleman, do not post much in any forum and can be found on several, including Savage Shooters and Snipershide. I like to read articles because I am constantly learning things and, if I am in need of an item and it appears in the classifieds, I might post an "I'll take it" or something similar.

Scammers are thieves, plain and simple. Thieves are not to be tolerated, plain and simple.

I feel the best way to deal on this site, is to use the good guy list and only deal with those that have MULTIPLE listings of being up front and honest. I will contact them by email and phone and Google their information if I have any question. If I still don't feel good about it, I don't worry and move on. If it is too good a deal, it is probably a scam.

I have been VERY fortunate here. I have bought over 50 things off this site and sold about 15 without any issues or complaints from either side, and have made some awesome friends close by and far away.

This is the ONLY site I look at to buy or sell.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Roger

A lot of people only take or send US Postal money orders because it makes any crime involved a federal crime and the postal crime guys get involved. I have heard several stories of guys getting their guns back. I try to deal with people who are on several forums and Gunbroker. Never pay by Western Union or MoneyGram. Good luck.