• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Scamed BEWARE

Not every hack is an actual virus, far from it.

While very handy for malware, trojans, and software exploits, Anti-virus software won't help against a Phishing-style attempt, especially if the same usernames and same or similar passwords are used across multiple websites. It only takes a single slip up and they gotcha.

I work in the cybersecurity industry and I have seen some VERY convincing phishing attempts. To the point, I have had to just trust my gut that what I was looking at was a phish attempt.

Phones are handy, and are also the devil since you can also be Smished (SMS "aka" text hacking). Smishing is very prevalent in Europe (where I currently am working). They use this as a way to verify phone numbers used in two factor authentication or drop malicious links that land you on websites that look legit, but aren't. Think about HOW MUCH information is on your smart phone, meta data in your pictures, etc - should scare you a bit.

Use two factor authentication where it makes sense and use a Yubikey (hard token) as your second authenticity token. Yes, they even make them that work with phones...two factor is not impervious if the user isn't attune to what he/she is reading!

This link is safe and worth a read if you want some basics: https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/what-is/phishing/types-of-phishing.html#whaling-tm-anchor.

Don't take a knife to a gunfight!
Thanks for the post - I am in the software industry and appreciate the info- I am headed to Rome on Wednesday. I would add checking the sender's email address often shows it is not legit.

I was looking for M1 Garand blueprints on the M14 forum. I got an email which I posted on the want ads.
Screenshot_20220425-121647_Gmail.jpg

Then he followed with this. Jeff became Pryor

Screenshot_20220425-121615_Gmail.jpg

Then this picture

Screenshot_20220425-121737_Gmail.jpg

Which he lifted from here

Screenshot_20220425-121756_Gmail.jpg

Sent him a response of not interested along with this last screenshot and asked him why he framed his print for sale.

Last edited: