SC Buck, one in hand, one still in the woods

Maq Attaq

We went up to the club in South Carolina this past weekend. The temps were perfect, Low 30's in the mornings and it didn't get above 65 during the day. We saw plenty of movement. My brother in law killed a nice 7 pt on Friday night. He came out across a plowed field heading towards the cotton. He stopped at the woodline to lick his branch and freshen his scrape. That was the last time he'll ever check a scrape.

Saturday evening Michael sat on a tripod overlooking three shooting lanes in the planted pines. I had seen 7 does and two small bucks there the night before. At around 6:25, I hear the sing and thump of the rifle go off and my phone rings. He says he shot a decent 6 or 7 pt. Felt like he hit him and heard him running through the thick stuff on his right. He stayed put and we met up with him shortly after that. He found the first sign of blood and we started tracking. We followed blood for about 100 yds or so and it got really thick with Briars. decided to back out and came back in the morning. We looked and tracked blood from sun up till 10 am. We lost the trail after the blood got really sporadic. One drop every 10 yds or so. Hate it when that happens but it is part of the hunt sometimes. I was proud of how he handled himself. From finding the blood, staying on the trail and not wanting to give up on the tracking.

He's all grown up now, his first time in the stand by himself.

AND if you don't bring home the whitetail....we get your shirttail....

I love that Board of Shame!!

Awesome idea! lightbulb :D

Congrats on your buck and for your son making the shot and trying to find his buck. Hopefully you'll find him. It looks like a good hit. What round was he shooting and at what distance?

Eric

I love that Board of Shame!!

Awesome idea! lightbulb :D

Congrats on your buck and for your son making the shot and trying to find his buck. Hopefully you'll find him. It looks like a good hit. What round was he shooting and at what distance?

Eric

130 yds with a 270 Winchester power max 130 gr

I also enjoyed the "Board of Shame" idea.

To bad you guys didn't find the buck. It looked like quite a bit of blood to start. It makes a guy wonder where the deer was hit?

Thanks for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.