Saving for a new "factory" higher end rifle. What do you recommend?

Bigeclipse

I was contemplating a Christensen arms sporter rifle but I have been reading a lot of negative reviews. I am looking into purchasing a 308 in a lighter weight setup as my ranges will be limited to 300 yards and will be used out of blinds or tree stands. My game will be whitetails with MAYBE a shot at a black bear. I have been reading about the Browning xbolt PRO but those appear to be quite expensive $1600. I understand I can likely buy a Tikka and have all that I need but I do enjoy a quality stock as opposed to the crappy Tupperware ones. I have also contemplated a Sako A5 Roughtec pro. I also want to try and get something that I will have very little chance of needing to rebarreling and want at least 1MOA accuracy out of the gate. Thoughts?

I was a diehard Savage fan until last year. I purchased my wife a Savage Ladyhunter and it just shoots pretty bad, even with reloads (best group was 1.5inches at 100 yards). It was sent back to them twice and they said their "test" rounds showed 1.25inches which was good enough for them. Well, I do not know what load they are using but I have tried 4 different types of bullets and 3 powders and nothing shot well. I would never sell it off to someone so I am going to have it rebarreled at some point in the future. Basically lost faith in Savage now.

I was contemplating a Christensen arms sporter rifle but I have been reading a lot of negative reviews. I am looking into purchasing a 308 in a lighter weight setup as my ranges will be limited to 300 yards and will be used out of blinds or tree stands. My game will be whitetails with MAYBE a shot at a black bear. I have been reading about the Browning xbolt PRO but those appear to be quite expensive $1600. I understand I can likely buy a Tikka and have all that I need but I do enjoy a quality stock as opposed to the crappy Tupperware ones. I have also contemplated a Sako A5 Roughtec pro. I also want to try and get something that I will have very little chance of needing to rebarreling and want at least 1MOA accuracy out of the gate. Thoughts?
Go to the classified section and look at the gen 2 Rem milspec in 300wm that is currently listed.

It would put you where you want to be for less than half of what you are talking about spending.

The gen 2 is among the finest factory rifles Remington has ever produced.

I was a diehard Savage fan until last year. I purchased my wife a Savage Ladyhunter and it just shoots pretty bad, even with reloads (best group was 1.5inches at 100 yards). It was sent back to them twice and they said their "test" rounds showed 1.25inches which was good enough for them. Well, I do not know what load they are using but I have tried 4 different types of bullets and 3 powders and nothing shot well. I would never sell it off to someone so I am going to have it rebarreled at some point in the future. Basically lost faith in Savage now.
That is unfortunate, however that is the risk we take when purchasing a factory product. I just believe Savage has a lesser degree of 'lemons' at this day and time than other large brands.

Or go to Reedssports.com and pick up the Browning Hells Canyon Speed in .308 for $965.00 right now. You can also get the long range (standard X-Bolt) model in that price range. Sign up for the VIP program to get these prices as it is free.

Last edited:
Go to the classified section and look at the gen 2 Rem milspec in 300wm that is currently listed.

It would put you where you want to be for less than half of what you are talking about spending.

The gen 2 is among the finest factory rifles Remington has ever produced.
Thanks but don't want a heavy rifle nor such a harsh caliber for short range hunting. I already have a 7mmrem mag which shoots lights out but I hate carrying to the woods where short range shots happen due to its weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.