Saved so much money reloading!!

Huntnful

Factory ammo was getting so expensive I decided to start reloading and save some cash!! With just $1500 to start, $1000 in components, $500 every couple of weeks for random stuff to try out, another $500 in components every month and 457 trips to the range to collect load data..... I should have a return on investment in no less than 200 years! I feel bad for the guys buying factory ammo :) hahahaha.

But seriously, reloading has been a blast and saving money was not why I initially started. I love knowing that I built that bullet that hit that gong at 1000, or killed that big buck at 500. It's a certain type of sickness for sure and I feel bad for anyone that got into it to save money haha. Especially during these current times!!

To be fair, I started reloading in 1981, because I could not afford to shoot enough to get better at shooting. And I think I achieved that goal. Prior to reloading, I felt literally like every pull of the trigger was like a buck or more (which is was, even in those days, for my 25-06. I got started with a cheap kit from Cabellas mail order and some powder from a local place that sold it IN A BROWN PAPER BAG! From their larger jug. And #100 .257 pills cost under $20, primers were nearly free.

All the trips to the range to test loads has the welcome side effect that we develop better shooting skills, become aware of other variables that effect accuracy, and generally become better shooters. There are factory load shooters that do this, but SELDOM with the kinds of expensive ammo that long range guns demand these days.....

But the OP has a point, for sure. Now I'm starting to replace older dies with micrometer seaters, bushing neck sizers. Now I retire old brass for a new lot of carefully weight sorted Lapua or other good stuff. Now I obsess about neck tension, and work hardening, where I used to just shoot the case till the neck split and then move on.........

Still wish I had never let that 220 Swift go that put them all in one hole BEFORE I knew that I was doing everything WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

1614887111829.png

The extra trips to the range have 100% improved my shooting skill, even if the groups aren't tight while doing load development. Just getting behind the rifle so often is a major important factor!

Like when I said to my wife "Hunting saves $$!!"... Yeah let's see when I moved to Montana and caught the bird hunting bug...

Cost of dog
NAVHDA membership and training
New Browning Citori
New Browning silver
New decoys
Ground blind
waders
Camper for extended hunts
Gas money to travel to favorite grounds
Purchased two more dogs (gotta rotate ya know)
Bigger RV
New truck for reliability... I know I'm missing some things be this'll get me close.

So let's see (licks pencil).. Sum the items.... Divide by 10, average annual # bag of birds..... So yeah I'm around $1,500 a pound so far, lol.

Like when I said to my wife "Hunting saves $$!!"... Yeah let's see when I moved to Montana and caught the bird hunting bug...

Cost of dog
NAVHDA membership and training
New Browning Citori
New Browning silver
New decoys
Ground blind
waders
Camper for extended hunts
Gas money to travel to favorite grounds
Purchased two more dogs (gotta rotate ya know)
Bigger RV
New truck for reliability... I know I'm missing some things be this'll get me close.

So let's see (licks pencil).. Sum the items.... Divide by 10, average annual # bag of birds..... So yeah I'm around $1,500 a pound so far, lol.
Hahaha, I duck and goose hunt also. I know exactly what you're talking about 😂

I always laugh when someone says oh you reload. That saves a ton. Or when they say I'm getting into reloading to save money.
I just had a friend who shoots maybe 2-3 time a year buy all the cool reload stuff and 1k primers that along where $380 on the broker and says ya it did it to save money.
All it allows me to do is shoot more expensive bullets than I can normally buy loaded in factory ammo out of way more expensive wildcat rounds.
But boy is it satisfying

I started reloading 40+ years ago by convincing myself I could save money. That didn't work out very well, but over the years I managed to get better accuracy. Then kept wanting more and more accuracy at longer distances. That cost a lot more and required updates on rifles and tools.

There seems to be no end to the amount of money spent to get where I'm at, but it was a great ride.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts