Savage vs. remmy

Boy do I see a crap-storm on the horizon here....

Thar she blows, cap'n!

:D

In an opinionated crowd, like we have here, this is a loaded question.

I am for Remington 700. The aftermarket accessories are endless. And I personally think the 700 action is the best factory action there is, and to build customs off of.

That is just my opinion.

Great Question!

Savage allows you to be your own gunsmith to some extent. You can replace a barrel on a Savage yourself. Savage also sells very good target actions (single shot). Buy a new/used Savage action. Get a good barrel from a barrel maker who makes Savage pre-fit barrels and you will have a semi-custom in no time. Do they outperform a total Remmy custom. Might, might not. It will probably cost less and be quicker to build and have very acceptable accuracy for long range hunting.

Beauty? Well that's in the eye of the beholder. :D

LOL, wow.....opinions are like.......

So I vote either. I have both. I like both. I prefer savage simply from the stand point I build my own for the most part and swap barrels around quicky. For example I have a 6.5-284, 204, 22-250, and 7-08 barrels on the table. I have a short action 110 with accutrigger that I use for the action and swap barrels around. At the last minute I decided to do the vortex challenge and needed a partner. My brother said he would do it so I threw that rifle together with the 6.5-284 barrel in about 15 minutes and went to the range to zero it. From a do it yourself process this is a nice feature for sure.

My 700 BDL LA is smooth and never let me down. I love the feel of it when working the bolt and there is just something that fits me well.

Where I don't have an opinion is on the accuracy or strength of either. From what I can see and understand both are strong enough and produce accurate results. The savage has a floating bolt head that supposedly doesn't require truing. All of my rifles shoot .5 or better so I have no clue if one is better in this accuracyt department or not from an action perspective.

I will say that there are more options when it comes to remington aftermarket parts and stocks etc. Plus the custom action guys seem to copy the remington platform. If you really want a 500-1000.00 McMillian stock this is probably the way to go.

LOL, wow.....opinions are like.......

So I vote either. I have both. I like both. I prefer savage simply from the stand point I build my own for the most part and swap barrels around quicky. For example I have a 6.5-284, 204, 22-250, and 7-08 barrels on the table. I have a short action 110 with accutrigger that I use for the action and swap barrels around. At the last minute I decided to do the vortex challenge and needed a partner. My brother said he would do it so I threw that rifle together with the 6.5-284 barrel in about 15 minutes and went to the range to zero it. From a do it yourself process this is a nice feature for sure.

My 700 BDL LA is smooth and never let me down. I love the feel of it when working the bolt and there is just something that fits me well.

Where I don't have an opinion is on the accuracy or strength of either. From what I can see and understand both are strong enough and produce accurate results. The savage has a floating bolt head that supposedly doesn't require truing. All of my rifles shoot .5 or better so I have no clue if one is better in this accuracyt department or not from an action perspective.

I will say that there are more options when it comes to remington aftermarket parts and stocks etc. Plus the custom action guys seem to copy the remington platform. If you really want a 500-1000.00 McMillian stock this is probably the way to go.
I run my 700's on inexpensive B&C Medalists and HS Precision Sendero, or HS 5R MilSpec stocks. They all work perfect for me. You don't have to have a super expensive McMillan or Manners stock. If that's what you want, go for it...But it's not a necessity by any means.

I run stock tupperware on my savages and have zero issues too. But if I want a nice expensive stock for the savage they are hard to find. Now to complicate it more lets talk top bolt or bottom bolt release. If short action is it 4.25 or 4.4 spacing. See what I mean?

My point is that if stock choices are a major part of the build process then the savage would be the least desirable especially in the top tier stock levels.

Both guns have produced excellent results for a vast amount of hunters/shooters, which is why this question is a tough one. The previous responders nailed it on the head.... Remy has an incredible amount of aftermarket accessories and the savage allows you to take part in the process of changing barrels etc on the fly, without having to go to a gunsmith. The question is... Which appeals to you more?

I personally have both and have had excellent results from both. One caveat though... There are always going to be some lemons produced. Of the 4 savages I own, the last one (a 308 hog hunter) is barely capable of putting factory rounds into 2" at 100 yards, this after trying 12 brands of ammo. The best was Nosler match grade 168s at 1.99". The other Hog Hunter I own in .223 will do .3s all day long at 100 yards with factory ammo. My rem 22-250 will shoot dime-sized groups consistently with Winchester white box at 100.

So, whatever you get, we'll just hope that you get a peach... And not a lemon.

I like both. Honestly I prefer the ergonimics of the 700. But I really enjoy being able to build my own on the Savage, and I've warmed up to them.

The aftermarket situation with Savage frustrates me though. Not only do you have screw spacing differences to deal with, but now they have moved the bolt release into the trigger guard on the new ones. Honestly I think this is a bonehead move. If you plan on installing after-market DBM, it appears you'll have to cobble a fix to move it back to the top side of the receiver.

So, you have to deal with all sorts of variations with the Savage. But if you want to save A LOT of money and roll your own, it can be issues worth dealing with.

I prefer my Savage's over any Remington I have ever owned, when it comes to straight out of the box accuracy. As far as pros and cons, you can search and find a gazillion post on this subject.

I'll keep it short and sweet as most of this has been addressed.
Savage:
Pros: Excellent out of the box, good for the tinkerer
Cons: Aftermarket support on the low side but not as bad as some like my Browning BPS

Remington:
Pros: There's a reason it has been unchanged for so long and custom builders build off of it, aftermarket support.
Cons: Not much in the way of home gunsmithing

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.