savage vs remington

G

I'm trying to keep cost down with my first long range rig. I hoping to ease my way into the long range stuff. I thinking of 2 different guns 1. the rem 700 sendero in 300 rum or 2. savage in 112bvss in 300 win mag. I got the hart long range hunting video (loved it!) and he said all the big 30 cals are good 1000 yard cals! This being said the savage is the lesser$$ of the 2. If it was your first time which way would you guys go? Thanks, alot of side job hang in this dission.
grin.gif

I had a savage in a 300 Ultra that was a shooter.You can't go wrong with one..BUT.A sendero in 300Ultra(Had one of thoes too)Shot just as well.And felt better to me...Go to a gun store and touch and feel both.And make your mind up that way...Glad you liked the video.....Butch will be glad to here it...

Both rifles are good choices, however I would lean toward the Remington. They seem to make a better platform to build a custom rifle from, assuming you decide to go that way at a later date. Most custom rifle builders are better equipped to build a custom rifle using a Remington Action, and more goodies are available for Remington rifles.

Good luck

I can personally reccomend the savage mod 116 weather warrior in 300 rum. I have one and a friend of mine has one and both will shoot sub-minute groups!! The muzzle brake on the 116 is real effective, recoil very lite and the actions are strong enough.They are built to shoot accurately right out of the box, only thing I didn't like was trigger pull but I 'm use to very lite pull!
However did get pull to 1.5 lbs. With a little hand loading they are serious tack drivers!
Sniper2

Go with the Savage, then everyone else will tell you to use the money you save to buy bullets and practice practice. IMHO. Check the Equipment Reviews and read the post about the 7mm with the 30 cal barrel and Remmington Quality Issuses. That may also help you to make a decision.

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: texas ]

I have 2 112BVSS Savages' and they both shoot great! One is .300 Win. Mag and the other is a .22-.250. I took the money that I saved and bought good QUALITY optics!! I say buy the Savages and spend the rest on optics and a trigger. I bought mine before the new Accu-trigger came out!!

Bubb,

Nothing wrong with trying to keep the costs down. But when it comes time to put a scope on it, don't screw yourself with a cheap scope.

A good scope costs as much, or a little more than the rifle.

Bubb, out of the box, I would look at the new Savages with the Accutrigger. If they make one in the laminated prone stock and fluted heavy 26" barrel, that would be the one I would go for. For calibre, either the 308 or 300Win mag will work. Both effective a lot further then a novice should be shooting at game anyways. The 308 will have less recoil and a little cheaper to shoot. the Win mag will have more LR potential.

If you want to make a custom job, then get an Enfield P14 action that has been sporterized (under $100) and spin on a long barrel with the specs to your liking. Boyd make the lam stock for under $100 so you can build your own rig for around $500 to $700 bucks.

The Bushnell Elite 10X is an excellent entry level scope (under $200) with plenty of elevation and good optics. All that I have talked to have said their scopes worked very consistently and repeatably. Add some Burris Sig rings with inserts and you can have a LR rig for under $1000 that can go up against most custom rigs.

The Enfield action is very strong and every bit as "accurate" as a commercial action. The stock trigger can be easily worked to 2lbs and Gunparts corp sells speedlock/cock on opening setups for about $25.

If you go the custom route, spend your money on good quality installation. The best barrel in the world is only as good as the install. A tight necked chamber can help but more importantly, make sure the throat is setup for your bullet - the gunsmith will understand.

The rest is up to you and the amount of practising you want to do. Support optics is also going to be a necessary expense. Get a Leica rangefinder and make up a drop table.

Burn lots of powder...

Jerry

Look in the archives for my posts on the 300Wby I built a couple of years ago. Also just built one in a 300RUM. The enfield actions work and are cheap like rice...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.