Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

Deederswy

Hello everyone, so im going to bring up a question that has probably been brought up at one point or another. Its a rifle opinion....but i ask that only the rifles mentioned get commented on. Im looking for a tack driver for hunting, so i have been doing a little research and all these complanies are coming out with their own "long range hunting" rifles. So, out of these companies, which would be considered the best? I would be looking for either a 7mm mag or a 300 win mag....I will list the rifles, their componants, and prices. Please take all into account.....

Savage 111 LRH -
Accutrigger, Accustock, 26" barrel, 10:1 twist - $989.00

Remington Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle -
Bell & Carlson stock, Full-length aluminum bedding block, 26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barreled action with dish-style target crown, 40-X externally adjustable trigger, Barrel is free-floating with LTR-style fluting - $1500.00

Browning A-Bolt II Long Range Hunter
Matte blued 26"; Medium heavy; Fluted; Free floating, Glass bedded receiver, grey laminate stock - $969.99

Tikka T3 -
Sako precision barrel, free floating, hand crowned, single stage adjustable trigger(2-4lbs) - $660.00

Or do i take my Remington 700 action 7mm mag and go custom with it?

All or any info would be great, thank you!

I'm in a quandry about your questions.

In the first place, your first comment don't pertain to hunting. A tack driver and hunting are 2 entirely different things.

I dight my rifles in, on the bench but in the field, hunting game, it's all about that instant. Racks hold up targets at the range and have nothing to do with harvesting game.

Secondly, let your wallet be your guide. If you can afford a custom rig, go buy one.

Hello everyone, so im going to bring up a question that has probably been brought up at one point or another. Its a rifle opinion....but i ask that only the rifles mentioned get commented on. Im looking for a tack driver for hunting, so i have been doing a little research and all these complanies are coming out with their own "long range hunting" rifles. So, out of these companies, which would be considered the best? I would be looking for either a 7mm mag or a 300 win mag....I will list the rifles, their componants, and prices. Please take all into account.....

Savage 111 LRH -
Accutrigger, Accustock, 26" barrel, 10:1 twist - $989.00

Remington Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle -
Bell & Carlson stock, Full-length aluminum bedding block, 26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barreled action with dish-style target crown, 40-X externally adjustable trigger, Barrel is free-floating with LTR-style fluting - $1500.00

Browning A-Bolt II Long Range Hunter
Matte blued 26"; Medium heavy; Fluted; Free floating, Glass bedded receiver, grey laminate stock - $969.99

Tikka T3 -
Sako precision barrel, free floating, hand crowned, single stage adjustable trigger(2-4lbs) - $660.00

Or do i take my Remington 700 action 7mm mag and go custom with it?

All or any info would be great, thank you!

The Savage and the Tikka are the better of the lot, but have seen some Brownings with the boss system shoot lights out. You might also want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard (Howa). Might also consider an AccuMark as well. Each has an advantage over the other, but not enough to be a game changer. All of them except for the Savage have hammer forged barrels. The Savage is button rifled (but the Tikka seems to have their barrel process down pat). The only Tikka I've shot was in 270 Winchester, and I liked it, but not enought to take it over a Savage. The first thing I noticed about the Tikka was the great balance it had when shooting offhand! About as good as it gets! The Savage has a better trigger. Been so long since I shot a Browning A-bolt that I don't remember a lot about it other than the noise. One thing I didn't like about the Savage (for me anyway) is the way the stock fit me. I'm a small framed person and I found it akward. A six foot guy wouldn't have a problem.
gary

you already own your action
Barrel 450ish +-
stock 100-700
trigger 150ish
gun smithing 250 -600

It all depends on what you want, want to achieve and who you have do what with your rifle and how much you are willing to do yourself.

My daughter wants to get into the long range game. So with my initial set of criteria for her rifle. I'm looking at 1500 and that's before scope, rail, rings. Just the barrel and having it installed action trued and muzzle break is going to be in the neighborhood of 900+, the rest I'll do. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised to be into it for 2K or more when the 1st round is fired.

Take a look at the Sako Grey Wolf. I have one in 7RM and it's extremly well made and a one hole shooter with Federal 150gr Ballistic tips or Hornady SST 139gr Superperformance ammo.

Since you mentioned hunting, I'd take a hard look at Tikka. Dependable, accurate and lightweight. The plastic puts people off in the show room but that all goes away at the range and in the field.

i have the savage LRH and love it but all are fine rifles so in the end its up to what fits you and what you like

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5-284 that is as accurate as my custom 6.5-284 producing consistent .25 MOA at 500 yards. Excellent trigger. I have had very good luck with Savages owning a 260 LRP, predator 22-250, and a 111FCP in 338. All of them are superbly accurate and great value for the $$$. No problems.

From my perspective, guns and tools are similar. I've always desired a complete tool box with all top end tools like Snap-On and Starrett and I have a good selection, not that I don't want some more....

Guns are like that too. I have a nice selection/collection but I'd like some more.

The tools and guns are only limited by the financial ability.

id pick a tikka or remington in your suggestions provided, but if it were me, id get an interarms mauser or something similar like charles daly, parker hale, or remington 798

A custom rifle is by far the better choice for accuracy, ease of cleaning, etc and that would be built on a custom action or at a minimum a 700 action. Price will run 1500- 3000.00 If it's a light weight rifle that shoots well I think it's hard to beat a Tikka for the money, if you don't like the stock buy a McMillan and have it pillar bedded.

It all comes down to money and how much of yours you'd like to get rid of !! Out of the box the Savage rifles dollar for dollar are hard to beat and being the range master at one of the long range groundhog matches in the east for 10 years I've seen them all shoot and I get to see them all in all calibers and cartridges. For normal big game hunting when your shooting at a volleyball to basketball sized target any of the above will do in most cases, now shifting down to to squirrel and dog sized targets is another story, your wallet is going to get involved. For that adventure your 700 Remington action will be more than good enough, an action truing, a new barrel and chamber cut and installed, a new trigger, stock and bedding will set you back well over a $1200 bucks plus your action...then we get to scopes and the sky is the limit in that department... So it all comes down to your wallet size, what you want to hunt and how far you'd like to shoot at em... $$$$$

I see the opposite at the matches I run, (Benchrest) people come with Savages hyping them up but when the commence fire is given just excuses of why they aren't shooting. Now please don't get upset but there is no comparison between the Savage and the Tikka as far as barrel quality or looks.

I have shot in factory class 200-300 yard egg shoots for many years, about a dozen each summer. For the last few years or so, at least 80 % of the first and second place winners are shooting Savages. They have clearly out run the Remingtons which one held the lead position, and scores have improved radically with numerous shoot offs due to perfect scores. The number of participants has also gone up as well due the availability of very accurate out of the box factory rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.