Savage target action

Sharpshooter243

I can't seem to find this info on savages web site but are all the target actions large shank? even the .223 bolt face. My local dealer can't get me one so i found a couple on gun-broker but there are more .223 bolt faces than standard. Can i just get a .223 get a WSM bolt face or no?

I can't seem to find this info on savages web site but are all the target actions large shank? even the .223 bolt face. My local dealer can't get me one so i found a couple on gun-broker but there are more .223 bolt faces than standard. Can i just get a .223 get a WSM bolt face or no?

Yes sir they are all large shank and you can buy whatever size bolt head you need. I've never swapped out heads but they claim it's very easy, just google bolt head swap and you'll find plenty of info.

If it were me I'd buy the action from Jim Briggs at northland shooters supply.

Hope this helps,
Nathan

Last edited:
Sharpshooter

Jim Briggs is at Northland Shooters Supply and Jim See is at Centershot Rifles. Both have comparable prices on Target Actions.

As Shawn indicated yes on the large shank. Yes it is easy to change boltheads just remember to put the extractor on the correct side. It also requires a different firing pin as the WSM bolthead is thicker than the 223 bolthead.

Might just call Sharp Shooter Supply and they will sell you a complete firing pin ready to drop in. Actually they probably have more parts than Midway.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.