Savage Target Accutrigger

Bravo 4

Got a rifle with the target trigger in the recent months and was really happy with the accutrigger. It was at about 1 pound and then all of a sudden started tripping the sear when the bolt closed with little force. Reading about this and it has been happening since the trigger's inception. Seems the answers I've seen are adjust the poundage higher or buy aftermarket replacement. You really have to get the poundage up to get it to totally stop trying to fire, this is with me really cranking on the bolt. Other than having to treat it gingerly, have a 4 pound trigger, or replace outright is there a fix I haven't ready about?

I haven't personally messed with the Savage triggers, the few I have been around had decent triggers, but were just the basic accutrigger, not the target one. But from the sounds of it, to me I would think the sear engagement of some form is the issue, or possibly the inherent design not maintaining enough pressure on the sear while the bolt is closing. I am assuming that there isn't much of an adjustment for the sear, or it would have been mentioned. What I have found from messing with triggers on many different guns, is if you mess up the sear, there isn't really a fix for it, as you can't really add material where it has been taken away, or possibly in this case, was never there to begin with.

But, if there is enough sear engagement, possibly look at the sear angle? If the engagement surfaces don't mate up well, this could lend itself to your issue. I may be way off, but this is what I would start looking at. I also like to tinker and learn, and when I mess with things like this I often go into the project fully expecting that I may have to fully replace it in the long run anyway. But hey, if your going to buy a replacement, you might as well learn something along the way. At least for me, that is how I always justify my tinkering and breaking of stuff, ha ha.

I'm a savage guy all the way, but I hate accutriggers :( I Almost lost a nice buck due to one decocking when set light and the trigger was not pulled straight back. All but one of my savages now have RifleBasix 2 triggers. They are crisp, can be set light and safe from misfires, four way adjustable and easy to install and set up. Best $155 you can spend, NSS stocks them, check one out. Like them better than Timney which I also have.

Agree with Savage 12BVSS, get an aftermarket trigger. That target accutrigger has had issues from the start. The RifleBasix 2 gets my vote. Always had trouble coughing for many of the aftermarket Savage triggers as they aren't much more that a fancy piece of steel.

Got a rifle with the target trigger in the recent months and was really happy with the accutrigger. It was at about 1 pound and then all of a sudden started tripping the sear when the bolt closed with little force. Reading about this and it has been happening since the trigger's inception. Seems the answers I've seen are adjust the poundage higher or buy aftermarket replacement. You really have to get the poundage up to get it to totally stop trying to fire, this is with me really cranking on the bolt. Other than having to treat it gingerly, have a 4 pound trigger, or replace outright is there a fix I haven't ready about?
Have you tried to set it for about 1.5 pounds? I have several accutriggers. None of them have the target spring. Several of mine have the varmint spring. On some rifles the varmint spring can be adjusted down to around 1.25 pounds and 1.5 on most all of them. I don't doubt you problem at all but I haven't had any problems with the triggers with varmint springs. These springs are around $15 shipped from the gun shack. They call this this a target spring but it's the poundage of savages varmint spring. I haven't had any problems with this spring. http://www.gunshack.com/savage-part...et-spring-105270-sav105270-adjustable trigger

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a Rifle Basix Sav2 on my .300 WinMag and it is a decent trigger. That is the second one this rifle has had, after thousands of rounds fired and 10s of thousands of dry fires. Gonna do as Cody and djfergus suggested, order a new spring (though I believe it's the same as on there, but it's cheap) and try polishing the contact points. All with the intent of having to order a new trigger (as others said) as I tend to wreck everything I touch.
It's a shame though, I liked it for the first several hundred times I pulled it. Maybe they should get a celebrity endorsement.

Attachments

• FEA90F84-C82B-4E94-97C4-DB68396D0A92.jpeg
    FEA90F84-C82B-4E94-97C4-DB68396D0A92.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 325
I Know a lot people don't like the accutriggers, but it's a very economical option when set around 1.5lbs with the varmint spring. Savage has three springs for the accutrigger. The Sporter weight rifles get a spring that usually won't go below 2.5lbs, if you can get it that low. The heavy barrel varmint rifles get what I call the varmint spring and can go as low as 1.25lbs in some rifles. Then there is the target spring that is on the red bladed triggers which is the lightest pull weight. I personally like the varmint spring.

You can tune the accutrigger but it's involved, I run one on my Br gun at 3 oz and it won't drop even running Br speeds but you have to take the wobble out and maintain them. You can actually make them sweeter than any trigger you can buy for them.

This is the red blade one and goes pretty low. Unfortunately I have to crank it all the way up to get it to not slam fire. I believe it is advertised as something like 8oz to 2.5lbs. Though it goes down pretty darn low (too low for my use of hunting) this one goes higher than 2.5, more like 4 or so. This is not using any other gauge than my finger, which is not exactly calibrated, but the Jewel on my .375 is set at 1.5 lb and this one goes waaayyy above that. Think I got a turd. I know some might say to contact the manufacturer, but from what I've read is as long as it doesn't actually fire a round then it is acceptable. Besides, this rifle has a different barrel and the stock that has been bedded & drilled for a pic/Arca rail. With the modifications I have probably voided any warranty. Looks like I have something else to modify.

The issue with the Accutrigger is that it's safe beyond all else, it's made to stop anything accidental from hitting the trigger to slamming it. To fix all that and maintain safety takes installing over sized pins in everything and shimming all the wobble out. I don't actually change anything in the sear like stoning but cleaning and grease helps a lot. It was only worth doing the work to get it to be perfectly reliable at ounces to say I did it, I can get them light enough I can't use a spring on the blade, I use a weight to balance it in position.

This is the red blade one and goes pretty low. Unfortunately I have to crank it all the way up to get it to not slam fire.

You probably already know this, but for others on this forum not familiar with Savage Accutriggers, it is not technically a slam fire. There is no way for the firing pin to release even when slammed. When the trigger springs are adjusted really low, it can cause tripping the sear via slam/jolt, but it is caught by the accutrigger blade. Yes it is inconvenient since it requires a trigger reset in order to go bang, but it will most definitely not slam fire.

You probably already know this, but for others on this forum not familiar with Savage Accutriggers, it is not technically a slam fire. There is no way for the firing pin to release even when slammed. When the trigger springs are adjusted really low, it can cause tripping the sear via slam/jolt, but it is caught by the accutrigger blade. Yes it is inconvenient since it requires a trigger reset in order to go bang, but it will most definitely not slam fire.
I'm not saying the target accutriggers are the best lightweight trigger out there but its probably the safest trigger in such a light pull weight.

On my 116 I could never get the trigger below 3 lbs and was considering replacing it. However, after talking to Northland Shooter supply he sent me a spring which I set to 1.5. My trigger seems to be great. I tried slamming the bolt to try to get it to fail but haven't had any issues but I haven't tried to go any lower as well. I like the trigger but I'd replace it for sure if it was failing at the weight I wanted.