Savage Striker questuions

winmagman

I'm giving some thought to doing a long range pistol on a Striker and have a few questions.

First what is a "good price" on a used one, a "fair" price and how much should I not pay more than?

Can one be set up without the trigger linkage by putting a rifle trigger on the back end like a rifle? I know it won't fit back in the factory stock but thats OK I've got some thoughts on a custom/modifided thumbhole rifle stock.

Are the dimensions even close to a regular SA Savage, (length, magazine placement)?

Thanks in advance

Chris

P.S. If some one could post a pic of one out of the stock I'd appreciate it.

Prices are from $300 to $450.
Not sure about the trigger, it sure sucks, even with the Rifle Basix. Not sure how they compare to the rifle, don't use them long guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Here's one pic with my helper
striker10.jpg

and here is the Striker album

I think if u get the right guy to work on it it can be adjusted fairly well to about a couple pounds or so. One of the big secrets to the Striker trigger is to make sure the stock isn't touching the linkage system anywhere along it. My partner's factroy Striker 22-250 is a SHOOTER, but we're having a lot of problems with the trigger. You might read some more down below this post as Kirby mentions customizing the Striker somewhere down there.

I have one built up in the 243 WSSM, but it's a match neck and the brass is starting to develop a donut, and thicker necks after a couple firings. I'm gonna have to turn them i guess. I have killed coyotes beyond 500 yds. with this rig and the 115 DTAC. Here's a pic of it--

If you look in my pics you'll see where I removed some in the stock because it was rubbing the transfer bar. Sure wish Mike Dewey made triggers for the bigbore Strikers I sure love my XP triggers

Thanks guys

yotefever
Thanks for the pics they were extreemly helpful.

Looks like a rear (linkage free) trigger mount might be doable. I think its time to start shopping for one.

I'm thinking about a 16-17" barrel chambered in 6.5 wssm. I'm picturing it sitting in a thumbhole type rifle stock that will be cut off just behind the thumbhole itself and have the forend cut down/modified to a managable size. Kinda a rear grip type encore syle only with the Striker action.

Wheels are starting to turn.....this is gonna cost me I can see it now.

Thanks again
Chris

Dave
Thats pretty close to what I'm looking for, but.....

Here in the southern third of WI we have 3 types of "zones" we can hunt.

First is the chronic wasting disease DEZ (deer eradication zone). In this zone you are allowed to use shotgun, muzzle loader, pistol, or a rifle only if you have the land owners permission. This is the zone I currently hunt as I have been allowed the use of rifles. This zone is about half of the county I live in.

The other 2 zones are the chronic wasting disease HRD (herd reduction zone) and the normal management units. The HRD surrounds the DEZ and covers most of the southern part of WI. Both of these allow shotguns, muzzle loaders, or pistols, NO rifles.

So while it sounds like I'm looking for a short rifle, what I really need is a long pistol, but it has to be designated as a pistol to qualify for the other 2 zones in my area.

Don,t ask me why I can't use a rifle in the same zone that I can use a pistol chambered in a rifle cartridge, can't explain it, but thats ok, I'm kinda proud of the fact that I can't think like a beaurocrat.(sp) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

I have a Striker in 260 Rem I would like to sell. Fired once! Unfortunately I had to move and never got to use it. Let me know if you are interested. Perfect condition.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.