Savage stock recommendations

As mentioned go with a SA if possible. Much more stock options than the LA. I bought a 110 LA last year to build off of. I'm about ready to just throw this action in the garbage. It's so hard to find a stock and bottom metal for this thing. I would of never bought it; but thought as popular as savage is it wouldn't be a problem finding parts. First and last savage action I'll buy.

Look into Stockade. Kevin has some very nice stocks. I own a couple of them and they are well built and very user friendly. He offers stock fits for sporter thru HV barrel contours. The hunting sporter looks like a nice lightweight stock for a smaller or younger person. Not sure what your barrel contour is or will be but he can fit you into a stock for any barrel. Good luck. John
I agree he makes a great stock but on the heavy side (even the sporter) and pricey ($400), he also takes a long time to make and ship orders, least he did with me all three times. I like his stocks, own a few now but you can get the same accuracy level from the less expensive after market stocks w/bedding block and not wait for months. Also stopped doing the cool long cobwebbing on stocks and went to generic looking tiny web's (used to paint cobwebbing on custom paint jobs just as easy to do either). Last time I dealt with him you have to ask specifically for the older style webbing, on a sidenote his paint jobs are bullet proof tough and don't scratch or rub thru ever. :) Good Luck on your project.

Last edited:
The problem with the MDT route is that it's obnoxiously expensive. Their cheapest chassis is $400, and that's before you add an AR 15 carbine stock and a handgrip and a magazine if you don't already have one. Don't get me wrong I love my LSS-XL with a magpul PRS but it's not at all a cheap setup and weighs around 6 tons. Their everything included Oryx brand looks intriguing for $400, but I can't offer any first hand reviews.

My mdt lss xl in a long action weights 58oz (with a recoil reducing stock on it.. You could save 8-10 on that with out really trying) if I pull the barreled action out of it. The short action is about 8-10oz lighter but I can't remember those exactly so I won't state them. That's not particularly heavy. It's actually lighter than most of the boyds offerings.

And ANY decent stock is going to be in the $400+ range for a savage unfortunately. So the price is typical. The only cheaper route is boyds or factory accustock. And most of those are only going to save $100 or so.

I suppose I'd ask what is considered heavy ? If this stock is for a youth, I'd say anything over 3 lbs is heavy. When my kids hunted as youths, I tried to keep the rifles well under 8lbs and recoil friendly cartridges. It's tough but doable. If replacing a factory stock with a decent after market model, I'm positive keeping weight low is easy. Remington 783s or Savage Axis rifles come in right around 5+ lbs. Add optics and your at or around 6.5-7lbs. My Prairie dog Stockade is 3 lbs. Heavy if your looking for a lightweight stock but added to a youth size rifle with a short barrel, it's gonna come in under 8 lbs easily scoped. It's really what weight you want your kids to carry. Comfort in carry is also important. Carrying my MDT LSS stocks are comfortable when slung over a shoulder. Modification had to be done for comfortable carry. Most of those stocks for me are carry stocks but rather drive to shooting locations and shoot.

It's really what weight you want your kids to carry. Comfort in carry is also important. Carrying my MDT LSS stocks are comfortable when slung over a shoulder. Modification had to be done for comfortable carry. Most of those stocks for me are carry stocks but rather drive to shooting locations and shoot.

I put an m-lok flush cup on the side of the forend opposite the bolt and there's already one on the stock there so it lays nice and flat on my back and is more comfortable than my standard stocks to carry slung.

Last edited:
I put flush an m-lok flush cup on the side of the forend opposite the bolt and there's already one on the stock there so it lays nice and flat on my back and is more comfortable than my standard stocks to carry slung.
That's exactly what I did. It was necessary. I've done it with several bolt guns with bigger bolt knobs and DBM. Figured it was the best fix for the chassis stock.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually picked up a savage axis xp on sale. It was stainless and I paid 360. I figure we'll start out playing with loads first and see how good we can make it shoot. Then decide what we want to swap out from there.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually picked up a savage axis xp on sale. It was stainless and I paid 360. I figure we'll start out playing with loads first and see how good we can make it shoot. Then decide what we want to swap out from there.
You'll likely be pleased with that rifle. I have a blued and stainless axis xp2s. We got a stock off ebay with 1" shorter length of pull for my son (hes 10). Its in buck reaper camo (kinda cool $110).
The stainless one hoveres between 1/2moa and 3/4 moa.

Toss the mounts in the trash and get the EGW 20 moa rail. Lighten the trigger (if she's ready for that).

We load 42.2 grains h4350 and 143eldx it works great in 3 creeds we have. Very low es sd

Burris c4 with custom dial goes to 700 yards but we only hunt to six hundred yards with it.

Hope ya have a fun time in 21 with yours!
20201213_211458.jpg

Hard to imagine you'll get anything "semi-custom" ready by X-mas, so have you considered just an off the shelf Savage? Hear me out...

I'd never again buy an OEM Savage to shoot, due to some pretty severe history, but I do love them as build platforms (just finished a 264WM). If you're planning for "semi-custom", dropping $500 on a complete rifle (used or good deal new) might solve the "Before X-mas" problem, and provide an opportunity for Dad-Daughter bonding going forward.

1) You can get something in hand to lay under the tree, so you get the cool points ASAP.

2) THEN, you thoroughly involve your daughter in the "build" over the next couple months.

As for stocks, the options are VERY slim compared to 700 pattern, but at least you're looking at short action, which is way better than long action. I'm personally a fan of the bog standard Savage Tupperware Accustock.

Summary? Perhaps buy an off the shelf Savage, then enjoy guiding your daughter through the process of deciding what SHE wants!
Good solid advice that you can take to the bank!

Last edited:
With a savage, how do you know what replacement stock will fit? Sorry for the dumb question. But I have this 110 LA and have no idea on what replacement stock to order. I was thinking of going with a Boyd's prairie hunter. I would like some sort of detatchable mag/clip. Boyd's wants a model number but I only bought the action used to build off of, so I have no idea on model number. I emailed savage with these questions and gave them my serial number, but that was a week ago and still no reply. Any stock and bottom metal recommendations would be great.

Top bolt release. Action screw spacing is 5.05" has a accu trigger. Previous owner told me it was a 30-06. I'm ok going with a factory clip system if it allows a long enough COAL. Want to build a 30-06AI to shoot 162-178 gr Hammers. Thought a AICS type mag may be best like the P mags from Magpul.

Here's a little info for you concerning the Savage numbers and aftermarket bottom metals.

As far as stocks go...check out Bell & Carlson, Choate and HS Precision. I personally can't recommend a Boyd's, but that's neither here nor there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.